Fuel duty cut will cost £500,000,000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

1909335 said:
Landrovers, as in real ones, are not cars.

I would have to think long and hard about wanting to own one. My Shogun is agricultural enough and is a lot more compliant than an old series LR.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
I would have to think long and hard about wanting to own one. My Shogun is agricultural enough and is a lot more compliant than an old series LR.

You are one of the characters off of the fast show and I claim my £5.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
1948 - a Landrover ploughing a field ;)

418279.jpg

This proves what exactly? It was developed on a farm not developed for farm use. Did the fact that it was entirely based on a Jeep chassis and running gear (which is a military vehicle) escape your notice?

Linford

This proves what exactly? It was developed on a farm not developed for farm use. Did the fact that it was entirely based on a Jeep chassis and running gear (which is a military vehicle) escape your notice?

• 1946 Maurice Wilks' Jeep needs replacing.
    Maurice Wilks had a farm on Anglesey that made use of a beaten-up war surplus Willys Jeep. He found this Jeep useful for a variety of practical farm uses. Nearing the end of its life, Maurice was considering a replacement. No British alternative existed, and parts for a new Willys Jeep were hard to get at that time. What spares were available, had to be purchased as bulk war surplus stock. This problem identified a gap in the market for a farm vehicle that was smaller than a tractor but was more versatile, and was rugged without being cumbersome.
  • September 1947 The 'Land Rover' project was made official.
    Board Meeting minutes describe it as "the all-purpose vehicle on the lines of the Willys-Overland post-war Jeep was the most desirable" using the P3 engine, gearbox, and back axle.
    In reality the first prototypes were already running, with design work starting in spring 1947.
http://www.winwaed.com/landy/history/timeline.shtml

Simon1234

Über Member
Illogical. The private sector cannot logically exist without a universally accepted means of value transfer. Which means money. Which means a state.

Barter doesn't make a private sector.

No, entirely logical. Having a value exchange mechanism doesn' t make a state.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

martint235

Dog on a bike
No, entirely logical. Having a value exchange mechanism doesn' t make a state.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
I thought we'd got past the "state" thing a couple of pages ago. We're talking about a public sector, that would be a sector paid for by the public. Do try to keep up

Alun

Guru
I thought we'd got past the "state" thing a couple of pages ago. We're talking about a public sector, that would be a sector paid for by the public. Do try to keep up
Or a sector providing for the public, funded by taxes.

Linford

Perhaps we should all become non state, private sector investment bankers. There's some wealth creation for you (not!)

Well I was actually thinking manufacturers of real products for hard foreign currency. That is why China is so rich, and everyone else is directly or indirectly indebted to them...

Linford

So not everything private is good then? China - very state controlled capitalism isn't it?

And they have the good sense to appreciate that if you want to buy foreign goods, or support state workers, you have to produce and sell goods or services (or minerals) to foreign countries. This is a concept which many state workers here struggle with.

Let me put it another way - if you don't produce anything which foreigners want to buy, then you have to print money to buy their money so you can buy their goods which you need. If they really find little in your country which they want to buy, you have to print lots and lots of your monopoly money for them to want to take a punt on it - maybe in the remote hope that in future, some bright spark in your country will produce something they can buy with it.

Successive governments just seem to have missed this one completely, and just treated our manufacturing sector with contempt. Manufacturing requires investment in production facilities, staff training, raw material stock, and also marketing and sales. Successive Gov's here seem to consider this too much of a gamble, and that is why they big upped the banking sector.

martint235

Dog on a bike
And they have the good sense to appreciate that if you want to buy foreign goods, or support state workers, you have to produce and sell goods or services (or minerals) to foreign countries. This is a concept which many state workers here struggle with.

Let me put it another way - if you don't produce anything which foreigners want to buy, then you have to print money to buy their money so you can buy their goods which you need. If they really find little in your country which they want to buy, you have to print lots and lots of your monopoly money for them to want to take a punt on it - maybe in the remote hope that in future, some bright spark in your country will produce something they can buy with it.

Successive governments just seem to have missed this one completely, and just treated our manufacturing sector with contempt. Manufacturing requires investment in production facilities, staff training, raw material stock, and also marketing and sales. Successive Gov's here seem to consider this too much of a gamble, and that is why they big upped the banking sector.
By sheer fluke, one of the things that we are actually very good at producing is money. And I don't mean in a financial services sense. Many countries across the world rely on the UK to actually produce the notes they use on a daily basis!

And they have the good sense to appreciate that if you want to buy foreign goods, or support state workers, you have to produce and sell goods or services (or minerals) to foreign countries.
I agree money must be earnt by selling goods/services and simply printing money or borrowing money is not a long term option. Who wouldn't?

However, for goods to be exported they must be produced. This takes a workforce. They need educating to various levels. When they get sick they need healing. The goods must be stored and transported with little risk of theft. Transport must take place on roads/trains (again by people who need education and skills), to ports/airports with people in place to ensure safe and effective operation, etc, etc.

I think rather than the private sector supporting state workers you will find a lot of non production workers are supporting the goods producers be they private or state run. The two cannot exist without each other though and it's about getting the balance right at the of the day.

Top Bottom