Fuel duty cut will cost £500,000,000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry but half the motons round here are still flying flags out of their car windows. If they can afford the extra fuel required to put up with the added drag caused by those, they can afford extra fuel duty. Simples.

Never mind the flags, its the binary right foot with which many of them seem to drive that must waste loads of fuel as does racing around at much over the speed limits.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
MEEEE i voted them in ! And honestly - i would do it again ! all they are doing is noticing the country is skint so trying to claw money back just the same as most families do when the pot is empty . common sense says if you you keep on spending when you have no money its only a matter of time before it catches up with you - and while i am in political rant mode - no - it ain't fair that non workers can be better off than workers after a multitude of benefits or that they get money thrown at them for having kids . i made the decision that i couldn't afford anymore kids - and i work hard - people need to be made to pay for their choices . we all know spongers who have no intention of working just knocking out kids and they seem to have all the money to be sitting in the sun outside pubs smoking . i was speaking to a foreign ex-worker - she said she loved this country - you get paid to have babies ! - not her fault - ours - the whole system is wrong and needs changing but no-one will do it cos its political suicide as so many are on the band wagon now - where will it end - workers will only get small pay rises - non workers will say this aint fair so they will get pay rises meaning workers need to be taxed more so they are slightly worse of - this will keep on happening till the worker says hang on - i will be better off not working and once enough workers think that then the country is sunk ! why not prop up poorly paid jobs with half benefits - therefore making it a decent paid job and getting tax back while also saving in benefits - and at the same time reducing benefits to people who cant be bothered to work as the money is rolling in . i know of one person who openly said i aint working no more cos its for mugs - and hes milking the system - he ain't the only one -- there thats set me mood for the day :angry:

could you PM me their details please, my son could do with a bit of an experienced head to figure out the system. He earns roughly £9000 per year, lives with his partner, she's looking for work, because of his massive income she has been told and upheld on appeal that she's entitled to nothing so he's supporting the 2 of them.

His total state support is £100 housing benefit towards his £400+ rent a month and £75 off his £1000+ annual council tax bill. after utilities and TV licence etc If he's lucky he ends up with £25-£30 to live on and buy food, clothes, deal with emergencies etc.

That is the reality of your utopian dream of propping up poorly paid jobs with benefits, its already happening and it s**t.

He's also under 25 and will be after next election so could well be looking at losing his housing benefit too. Great, well done, cheers for bringing in a regimen that thinks he can feed and clothe 2 people on £0 a week.

Shall I kick him on your behalf next time I put some food in his cupboards.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
State workers are supported by the efforts of the private sector - in the same way that the unemployed are. State workers provide services, but don't create anything of worth for their efforts in terms of monetary value - apart from Customs and Excise who raise tax (off the people who generate the wealth).

I'm not a regular here, is there a smiley to cover howling with laughter whilst violently banging my head off the desk to try and sink to this level of thinking

wgaf

At the end of the day I am taxed on what I earn, I pay tax on everything I buy (one way or another) and I am taxed on (what little) interest I earn when I can afford to save.

Anyway you look at it the govm't ends up with the largest portion of my money, Whichever set of idiots are in power.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The very first writing systems were developed as a bureaucratic tool for "civil servants" to record tax contributions.

"The State" predates private enterprise.

d.
Indeed, private enterprise as we currently understand it is an invention of the very recent past.
Rudimentary banking - 14th century
UK merchant banks - early 19th century
Joint stock limited liability companies - 1855
Big bang; removal of restrictions on share dealing - 1980s
Integrated banking - late 20th century

srw

Anyway you look at it the govm't ends up with the largest portion of my money,
That's not true even for the wealthiest among us.

If you're on the median income you pay about 15% income tax, less than 10% NI and 20% on purchases.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
I'm not a regular here, is there a smiley to cover howling with laughter whilst violently banging my head off the desk to try and sink to this level of thinking

Yes it's:

:howlingwithlaughterwhilstviolentlybangingmyheadoffthedesktotryandsinktothislevelofthinking:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Sorry but half the motons round here are still flying flags out of their car windows. If they can afford the extra fuel required to put up with the added drag caused by those, they can afford extra fuel duty. Simples.

Plus almost everyone drives horribly inefficiently, or has an inefficient car (or both)
And most people don't even bother shopping around for the cheapest fuel in the area.

Clearly they can afford to pay much, much more for fuel.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The one that gets me is people leaving their engine running while popping into the newsagent, waiting at a level crossing etc.

What this kind of behaviour tells me is that far from being too expensive, fuel isn't nearly expensive enough.

(Which is just another way of saying what benb just said, obviously.)

d.

martint235

Dog on a bike
If you work on the fact that delivery vehicle fleets can achieve economy of scale, how much do we need to put fuel duty up by to give us an income tax cut that will be enough to pay for any increase in the price of goods caused by the duty rise?

Or in other words how do we price cars off the road without affecting our general standard of living?

That's not true even for the wealthiest among us.

If you're on the median income you pay about 15% income tax, less than 10% NI and 20% on purchases.

And where does the other 80% of the money I spent on purchases go? Eventually it goes to the gov't in tax paid by the retailer be that in wages to their employees or their income tax or import duty or or or or or ... unless I stick it under the bed and never spend it, then eventually it goes in taxes.

srw

And where does the other 80% of the money I spent on purchases go? Eventually it goes to the gov't in tax paid by the retailer be that in wages to their employees or their income tax or import duty or or or or or ... unless I stick it under the bed and never spend it, then eventually it goes in taxes.
Look up the maths of summing a geometric progression.

Look up the maths of summing a geometric progression.
Why? Unless the money remains in the retailers till and is never accounted for it will eventually get spent in taxes in some way or other. Until money is removed from the system it is just tax waiting to be paid.

Top Bottom