Full length mudguards on MTB?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I've started commuting on my hybrid MTB and really it needs a set of mudguards.

I can possibly get a normal one on the back but whats my options with the front?. The forks don't have any mountings.

Any ideas welcome!.

20190108_205258.jpg

20160801_115013.jpg

Get normal forks that can take guards maybe ?

Most hybrid bikes, ie most bikes, have that setup, but no one sells fender sets with bolt on rear and bodge-on front. You cant even get rear bolt-on without the matching front.
You have to get 2 sets of fenders, one std bolt on (SKS chromoplastic) and one bodge on MTB style set using zip ties, elastic bands or duck tape.

Does the little U in the middle of the front fork and inside the suspension struts have a hole in? If so you might be able to get away with some big p clips to go round the fork legs and use the hole in the fork for a proper mudguard.
Otherwise you’ll need something like a https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/best-mountain-bike-mudguards-336438 and then bodge an extension from a plastic/rubber offcut riveted on to extend the but behind the fork in front of feet.

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You could probably get a long front fender, but they aren't full. You'd get a full guard on the back, with planning round the brake caliper.

My 90's MTB is running full guards at present - great for general training off road on tracks, canal's etc, but not anything really rough. Commuted on it on Monday.

The suspension fork is the problem.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Swapping the fork to a rigid isn't as crazy as it seems if you're going to be commuting exclusively on it. Cost would be minimal and will save a lot of weight.

Baldy

Über Member

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You can mount full mudguards to the fork using 'P' clips/clamps. They wrap around the fork legs and have a hole into which the mudguard eyelet is attached.

Look for rubber backed ones so they don't scratch the fork. The eylet goes between the two silver sections and you use a nut and bolt to tie them together.

The top of the mudguard i.e. 12 o'clock position can be attached to the fork bridge using the bolt hole (if it has one) or cable tie.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210806-110243.png
    Screenshot_20210806-110243.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've got Topeak Defender M1 mudguards front and rear on mine. They obviously won't provide the same protection as traditional full mudguards, but they help. Incidentally, photo also shows that suspension forks are gone and replaced with a light carbon fork.

vt2

Guru
You can mount full mudguards to the fork using 'P' clips/clamps. They wrap around the fork legs and have a hole into which the mudguard eyelet is attached.

Look for rubber backed ones so they don't scratch the fork. The eylet goes between the two silver sections and you use a nut and bolt to tie them together.

The top of the mudguard i.e. 12 o'clock position can be attached to the fork bridge using the bolt hole (if it has one) or cable tie.

I did exactly that recently on my full suspension mountain bike using full SKS mudguards bought from PlanetX who had them in a flash sale recently for £10. The front mudguard was fitted to the fork stanchions with S/S P-clips and to the bridge with a cable tie through holes drilled in the mudguard. The rear mudguard was fixed at two positions on the rear suspension arm using zip ties and the stays fixed to a convenient M5 threaded hole in the dropout and to a tab fixed to the one of the disk caliper fixing bolts.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I've gone middle of the road.

Crud XL front (very similar to the Top Peak) and a Zefal 75 rear.

I might buy a cheap rear mudguard to chop down and fill in between seat stay and bottom bracket, haven't decided yet.

Top Bottom