Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Locations of Yorkshire rivers at ~64m

Dearne: M1 crossing nr Bretton
Don: centre of Sheffield
Aire: Centre of Bingley
Nidd: Just upstream of Harrogate

None look likely. Probably need a smaller one, and @Aravis likely rode to Barnsley from Aberystwyth anyway!

Venod

Eh up
Aargh! I know what the clues mean and I am in the right area, but I haven't spotted it yet...

Me too, but I have to leave it for now, so to help it along, here are my thoughts.

Barnsley Gloucestershire
River Thames which rises at Kemble,
Don't know what the smoke clue is about but there is a place called Chimney close to the Thames.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Barnsley Gloucestershire
Yes - the snooker placed missed a match because he went to the wrong Barnsley! :laugh:
River Thames which rises at Kemble,
Yes.
Don't know what the smoke clue is about but there is a place called Chimney close to the Thames.
I was thinking Great Fire of London. Don't they call London 'The Big Smoke'? London Road - the A417?

The thing is... looking at the stretch of the Thames where it is 64 m above sea level, I can't spot the bridge!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Venod - you were right!

Now I'm confused about some of the clues...

That isn't the Thames, it is Great Brook.

66 m above sea level, but I suppose the water is nearer 64!

I don't know about the road either...

figbat

Slippery scientist
That’s right in my neck of the woods - I thought it felt familiar. I cycle through Buckland to get to my parents’ place. Should’ve spent some time on this one. :cry:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well done @ColinJ.

To clear up the clues: chimneys emit smoke, nothing more than that, so if you'd ever seen the hamlet Chimney on the map you might've twigged straight away. Then I realised London is sometimes referred to as The Big Smoke, so there was a chance for a play on words. I don't think I ever said it was the Thames, just that the waters are bound for London, so it could have been any watercourse which flows into the Thames at some point.

The Barnsley thing was intended to suggest looking in and around the Cotswolds, but somehow you didn't seem to get my drift straight away.

I said 64 metres because on OS 1:25,000 it looks to me as though the junction is below the 65m contour line. I didn't mean it to be interpreted too precisely - the main point was to steer you away from the Somerset Levels and the like.

It's a lovely area to cycle in if you're looking for easy miles!

Edit: I think I agree it's @Venod's turn.

Top Bottom