Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's amazing how close one can get but not spot it. I have been scouring the local roads but haven't quite found it yet.

It's possible that the different view from the Street view car fooled me. Now I'll have to go back over the same roads...

Those wonky gates always interest me - I see them all over the place. I can't work out whether they are caused by frisky cows trying to escape from fields, or careless farmers doing the damage with farm vehicles.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
^_^
Very much in the right area, @Speicher, but not that road.

I've just had a look at Street View; the big hill was only just visible and the wonky gate on the left hadn't been put there when the camera passed by in 2009.

I've realised I've used a view from the same road in this thread before, if that helps. :unsure:

I do not often visit this thread. I just sometimes pop in to see if I might vaguely know the area. As you live in Gloucestershire, and I thought it was Bredon, I ventured a guess. Quite happy for someone to nab my clues and find the exact spot. ^_^

Those wonky gates always interest me - I see them all over the place. I can't work out whether they are caused by frisky cows trying to escape from fields, or careless farmers doing the damage with farm vehicles.

Coincidentally, whilst out trundling across the Westmorland Dales yesterday, I watched a farmer drive along the road with a metal gate just like that hung from the fork lift blades of a JCB type of thing by its top horizontal bar. It was new, shiny and rectilinear. When he lowered it to the ground, near a wooden gate which had long ago reached retirement age, he went a bit too far so that the blades pressed down on the second bar from the top. The new gate then looked remarkably like the one in the current picture.

That doesn't mean that cows don't do it of course ....

classic33

Leg End Member
The railway lines aren't crossed too often on a corner in the road. The only one I found is a bigger bridge with a different wall.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The walls are too old for a motorway, which is why I said over water.
I was also thinking that there might be a stream just behind where the picture was taken.

No, motorway/railway line ahead? It might be just the shape of the land but it looks a bit like a railway embankment. There is a railway line AND a motorway in that area.

classic33

Leg End Member
I was also thinking that there might be a stream just behind where the picture was taken.

No, motorway/railway line ahead? It might be just the shape of the land but it looks a bit like a railway embankment. There is a railway line AND a motorway in that area.
There'd be a fence at the top if it were either of those. Prevent livestock getting on to them.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ha - FINALLY found it - between Green Street and Hill Croome!! :okay: W, rather than NW, and further away than I had been looking.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Further round the bend, with the hills just visible in the distance...

View attachment 589511
its the right place, but due to street view vs regular camera, the background / hill profile looks completely different.

Like you I had a look a few days ago but from a different direction where the background hill profile looked about right.

Top Bottom