Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
For those obsessed about the date, it was 15th April 2020. Not a road I would normally recommend but I took the opportunity of a lockdown ride on a glorious spring day all the way down the empty main road to the border at the Carter Bar.
This Camptown doesn't have a racetrack and is so small it wouldn't qualify as a one-horse town. It doesn't even have the speed camera anymore as it was torched years ago and has never been replaced.
The only thing it does have is an earworm which strikes every time I drive past the sign and ruins my doodah doodah day. ^_^

Well done @Aravis over to you.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
That was pure luck. I searched for "five mile long race track" which led be to the song, which I didn't know. I then searched for Campdown which led me to the spot. I wish they all worked out like that...

I did say I'd pass my next turn, so if anyone wants to step in, please do. I think I'll wait until 10pm and if no-one's posted one, I'll do so. Perhaps I'll find you're all clamouring for another one of mine. 🐷🚁

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The next one then. I hope you like this; it was taken on my first ever solo multi-day cycle tour, on Easter Monday 1984:

Unfortunately I failed to anticipate fully the requirements of this thread, and didn't see the need to include the road in the composition. It can just be glimpsed on the extreme right, and it follows the dry stone wall as far as it can be seen. This is a picture of the road itself, taken from the latest streetview images:

classic33

Leg End Member
The next one then. I hope you like this; it was taken on my first ever solo multi-day cycle tour, on Easter Monday 1984:

View attachment 618184

Unfortunately I failed to anticipate fully the requirements of this thread, and didn't see the need to include the road in the composition. It can just be glimpsed on the extreme right, and it follows the dry stone wall as far as it can be seen. This is a picture of the road itself, taken from the latest streetview images:

View attachment 618186
That lens needs cleaning,if not the camera!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

View attachment 618184

View attachment 618186
Looks vaguely Cumbrian, and is that a bit of a stone circle in the field? ...or just a few boulders?

OldShep

Über Member
For those obsessed about the date, it was 15th April 2020. Not a road I would normally recommend but I took the opportunity of a lockdown ride on a glorious spring day all the way down the empty main road to the border at the Carter Bar.
This Camptown doesn't have a racetrack and is so small it wouldn't qualify as a one-horse town. It doesn't even have the speed camera anymore as it was torched years ago and has never been replaced.
The only thing it does have is an earworm which strikes every time I drive past the sign and ruins my doodah doodah day. ^_^

Well done @Aravis over to you.
I used to drive that bit of road regularly 40 years ago and didn’t recognise it :sad:
Can I have a consolation prize for being close to the date? ^_^

OldShep

Über Member
Looks vaguely Cumbrian, and is that a bit of a stone circle in the field? ...or just a few boulders?
Looking at the way the dyke ( wall to some) is built I’d say definitely Scotland.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Let me show you the equivalent view from Streetview in 2021, including the road properly this time. Unsurprisingly, little has changed, and the boulders can still be seen! To me they look as though they're sitting where the ice left them:

@OldShep is correct about the country - I'm impressed. I wonder if dry stone wall patterns are a bit like accents - if you know them well enough you can sometimes identify an individual street?

Top Bottom