Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Loch Weeslip
Glen Teenygoof
You probably don't realise just how close you are with these! 🚗

I'm still hoping someone can fill more of the detail I'm hinting at with the m'lard clue.

OldShep

Über Member
@OldShep is correct about the country - I'm impressed. I wonder if dry stone wall patterns are a bit like accents - if you know them well enough you can sometimes identify an individual street
Walls/ dykes and the way they are constructed are one of the few regional differences left in the countryside. Forty years ago I could look at a gate and tell you whether it was made in Harrogate, Reeth, or Carlisle. Now they are all galvanised built to different prices. Other variations are in the way fences are built but even that is becoming more standardised.

Mr Celine

Discordian
The main reason for local variations in dry stane dykes is the type of local stones. Each metre length of dyke contains a ton of stone, so you build with what is there. The basic technique is always the same but the result can look very different.

The wall in the current challenge is in a locale which appears to have abundant through stones. These are long stones that span the width of the wall about half way up and there should be one every metre or so. They are usually the hardest stones to find.
On the other hand there doesn't seem to be many decent cope stones. These just need to be big as their weight helps to tie the wall together. Instead of single cope stones the dyker appears to have used a combination of longer stones with a largish one on top.
A cope like this also suggests that this dyke is in sheep country. Cows or horses would scratch themselves on the projecting parts of the cope and fairly soon wreck it, leading to the collapse of the rest of the wall.

Walls in limestone areas tend to look very different. The building stones are squarer and more regular in size and the copes are very neat. Through stones are much less frequent.

The knowledge that the wall in the current challenge is not in a limestone area is of no practical use, it having already been guessed that this in Scotland where there is next to no limestone anyway. ^_^

Apart from thinking it looks vaguely Trossachs like I'm stuck.

classic33

Leg End Member
The main reason for local variations in dry stane dykes is the type of local stones. Each metre length of dyke contains a ton of stone, so you build with what is there. The basic technique is always the same but the result can look very different.

The wall in the current challenge is in a locale which appears to have abundant through stones. These are long stones that span the width of the wall about half way up and there should be one every metre or so. They are usually the hardest stones to find.
On the other hand there doesn't seem to be many decent cope stones. These just need to be big as their weight helps to tie the wall together. Instead of single cope stones the dyker appears to have used a combination of longer stones with a largish one on top.
A cope like this also suggests that this dyke is in sheep country. Cows or horses would scratch themselves on the projecting parts of the cope and fairly soon wreck it, leading to the collapse of the rest of the wall.

Walls in limestone areas tend to look very different. The building stones are squarer and more regular in size and the copes are very neat. Through stones are much less frequent.

The knowledge that the wall in the current challenge is not in a limestone area is of no practical use, it having already been guessed that this in Scotland where there is next to no limestone anyway. ^_^

Apart from thinking it looks vaguely Trossachs like I'm stuck.
"Limestones occur in southern Ayrshire and in a very broken band running northeastwards through the Pentland Hills towards Edinburgh. There are limited outcrops on the coasts of East Lothian and Berwickshire, isolated outcrops in Fife and Stirlingshire and further occurrences around Greenock and Dumbarton."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carboniferous_Limestone

OldShep

Über Member
Thinking aloud
23rd April 1984
Scotland
A fine mountain ahead, m'lard! Unlucky for some?
is that a tv, film, or book reference? Means nothing to me.
is there a mountain in view or are they hills?
Ahh anything over 2000' is a mountain, just googled, and I’ve always thought them hills. :blush:
Too far north.
suggesting D&G or the Borders?
hills aren’t right for the Borders and seems too much without Sitka spruce for D&G.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
https://www.google.com/maps/@54.976...4!1shCdw5FjuwE7_esQAUc0Vxw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I haven't quite worked out all the clues yet, but saw a Minnigaff on the map...

1637310355638.png

1637310462366.png

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well done @T4tomo. Minnigaff has been home to a Youth Hostel for as long as I can remember so I thought someone would get that clue.

For the spoon clue, check out the name of the shapely mountain on the horizon.

Over to you!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Well done @T4tomo. Minnigaff has been home to a Youth Hostel for as long as I can remember so I thought someone would get that clue.

For the spoon clue, check out the name of the shapely mountain on the horizon.

Over to you!
Maybe this needs a bit of spoon-feeding. A fine mountain ahead, m'lard! Unlucky for some?
even with the OS map in from of me none of this make in any sense:laugh:
I think I just got lucky zooming in on OS maps and seeing Minnigaff

i see no spoons, not even a weatherspoons:
1637316323786.png

Top Bottom