Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I think where there is doubt, wait, but you are obviously correct so feel free to post yours. I'm sure that @Aravis will pop along later and say something about his route?
Crikey, am I that predictable. No need to answer...

Not much to add, I'm glad this one worked out. The oast house was obviously the most identifiable feature, and in the UK they're limited to a couple of geographical areas. Not, as this has shown, exclusively in the South East.

I think the scene looked a lot more handsome in early spring than when the streetview image was taken.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Ok... another one grabbed from Streetview, but (following the spirit of the challenge) I have ridden this road (2 or 3 times in fact). There is a subtle hint there.

View attachment 538544

The Streetview image has been framed to give you another couple of hints. I was actually riding in the opposite direction (i.e. towards the camera) but (BIG hint!) you might not have recognised the unexpectedly hard narrow wooded climb up from the camera position so I am giving you more to work with with this view! :okay:
OK... the stone looks kinda Cotswoldsey and there's a weather vane... so with nothing more to go on, I did a google image search for 'cotswolds weathervane' which luckily gave me this as the very 1st result
1596277221978.jpeg

It's obviously the same one, and the Alamy page provided the location.

The hamlet is Saintbury in Goucestercesteryierieshire, and the road is Buckle Street. ??? Here it is from the other direction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done! I did it on the Shakespeare 100 event from Stratford-upon-Avon. (NOT the Cotswold Challenge, as I posted earlier - that did go through Chipping Campden but not Saintbury!)

The climb up Saintbury Hill caught me out. If it had been in Yorkshire it would be the kind of hill that I am used to but I wasn't expecting it down there. It averaged close to 9% for 1.6 km (a mile) but with a steep ramp halfway up, coming into the wooded area.

I was feeling moderately fit until a giant of a man shot past me on the climb. He must have been 2 metres (6' 6" plus) tall and bulky with it, so no whippet climber - very impressive and humbling!

Your turn, @MontyVeda.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

It certainly looked like a decent climb when i checked it on streetview @ColinJ

This lane was on my daily commute around 20 years ago. It's a ride I miss to this day. I've seen some glorious sunrises over that mountain.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
OK... the stone looks kinda Cotswoldsey and there's a weather vane... so with nothing more to go on, I did a google image search for 'cotswolds weathervane' which luckily gave me this as the very 1st result
View attachment 539216
It's obviously the same one, and the Alamy page provided the location.

The hamlet is Saintbury in Goucestercesteryierieshire, and the road is Buckle Street. ??? Here it is from the other direction.
View attachment 539219
Bugger too late on this local one too. I knew this one immediately, especially as I passed through just yesterday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The distant mountain is the 6th highest in England.
One would think that that would be straightforward to identify but I looked on a couple of websites and they suggested Skiddaw. I had a vague recollection of that being #4 in the list so I looked at some more sites and they DID suggest 4th highest, and one, the 3rd! :wacko:

Ah, looking into the detail... Some are basing it purely on the heights of summits, but some are eliminating high points which are not prominent enough from surrounding terrain which then goes even higher.

I did find one view of Skiddaw which looks similar, but not quite right. If nobody comes up with the answer I will carry on looking this evening!

I'm pretty confident it's Skiddaw since it looks a fair bit like Skiddaw from 'round the back' and since by summit altitude it *is* the sixth highest in England. I suspect the lists which say otherwise are talking about prominence or some other means of ordering things (Skiddaw is third on all the prominence lists I've seen).. So if that's right then it's along one of the numerous lanes to the N, NE and NW of the Skiddaw massif.

It's not Ill Crag.

MontyVeda

The list i checked put Skiddaw at number 6... so i can confirm that the answer to clue number two is Skiddaw. (sorry for any confusion)

Clue number one, in post #619 gives a big hint as to which direction the lane is from Skiddaw :okay:

So it must be westish of skiddaw? Around keswick? One thing that came to me was around the stone circle overlooking keswick? Or is it further north/around Derwent water.

MontyVeda

So it must be westish of skiddaw? Around keswick? One thing that came to me was around the stone circle overlooking keswick? Or is it further north/around Derwent water.
that's what you're supposed to find out :smile:

[edit] Castlerigg stone circle is south-east-ish of Skiddaw. Keswisk is due south of Skiddaw, so no chance of seeing the sunrise over Skiddaw from either location.

Google maps and street view is your friend in this game :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom