Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Okay, here's my next one...

I left the shadow of the Street View camera in for you to help you judge direction.

I'll chuck the first clue in at the start - nearly the whole climb is at a constant gradient.

If that doesn't help, I'll tell you the gradient tomorrow. And if that doesn't help, I'll tell you how long that stretch is on Tuesday.

Name That Road!

GuyBoden

Guru
Okay, here's my next one...

View attachment 640630

I left the shadow of the Street View camera in for you to help you judge direction.

I'll chuck the first clue in at the start - nearly the whole climb is at a constant gradient.

If that doesn't help, I'll tell you the gradient tomorrow. And if that doesn't help, I'll tell you how long that stretch is on Tuesday.

Name That Road!

I've not looked yet, but a guess based on the clues would be:

"Cragg Vale from Mytholmroyd on the B6138 road proudly claims to be the longest continual ascent in England. 968 feet of climbing in 5.5 miles. It is not steep, just a classic long drag – a power climb with an average gradient of just over 3%."

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The old Cat's Eye in the road!

I've been googling 'roads with cat-eyes' and have narrowed the area down to somewhere between about seventy degrees north and fifty-five degrees south

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The climb in question is 8.3% average (and very close to that the whole time) for 3 km. I first did it when not very fit and it killed my back because there wasn't even a 50 metre easy section to recover in.

There is more slightly gentler climbing immediately before and after the 3 km ramp but it is that section that you wouldn't forget. (Nothing cryptic in that statement - just how it felt riding up it!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Edit: Is this @ColinJ post today at 15:46pm a clue?
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/double-singlespeed.284698/page-3#post-6713552

"I am nipping over to Hebden Bridge on the bike soon. I will go along the flattish valley road in the 52/19 gear, but if it stays dry I might change gear for the return journey and ride up through Colden and Blackshaw Head to the Long Causeway before dropping back to the valley."

This is the profile of today's proposed return leg (put off until another day because of an overlooked family commitment)...

You might think that you were on the right track here, but...
  1. If you calculate the gradients on that profile, you won't find a long stretch at 8.3%
  2. When I said "The climb in question is 8.3% average (and very close to that the whole time) for 3 km", I literally did mean very close to the average - the gradient is remarkably consistent. Especially since the road is nowhere near straight...
    I didn't realise how much I rely on micro-rests during easier sections of climbs until I encountered this beast - it just feels relentless!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oh, and I accidentally gave you another clue with the vertical scale on the left.

Don't forget, the climb actually starts slightly lower then that, and goes up a bit more beyond what is shown.

Top Bottom