Garage Tool Storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I've gone through all my adult life with the following

Slot head screwdriver
Philips screwdriver
Assorted screws
Assorted rawl plugs
1 hammer
1 saw
1 junior hacksaw
1 spirit level
2 pairs of pliers
Assorted allen keys
Various glasspaper
Electric drill

That's it

DavidD

Slot head screwdriver
Philips screwdriver
Assorted screws
Assorted rawl plugs
1 hammer
1 saw
1 junior hacksaw
1 spirit level
2 pairs of pliers
Assorted allen keys
Various glasspaper
Electric drill

That's it
What, not a spanner of any kind in the list, you jest surely

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Slot head screwdriver
Philips screwdriver
Assorted screws
Assorted rawl plugs
1 hammer
1 saw
1 junior hacksaw
1 spirit level
2 pairs of pliers
Assorted allen keys
Various glasspaper
Electric drill

That's it

No pozi screwdriver? You'll munge up your screws if you use a philips driver on the (far more common) pozi screws

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a tool box must be getting on for 50llbs in weight , then theirs the saws, drills, electric saw, nail gun , erm i would need to do a full recount as i cant remember it all then the bike specific stuff is in the bike store .
Handyman came around to do a job ( friend of the family free rates ) and he thought i didnt have many tools ...............

keithmac

Guru
That's my tool storage peeking out behind the Fazer, bought it 10 years ago and still good as new (Snap-on).

The Fazer is another story, customer snapped one of the exhaust studs (should have brought it in to us first!). I had to strip the front endo out of it and drill the cylinder head in situ, lovely..

20140326_143238.jpg

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
What, not a spanner of any kind in the list, you jest surely

Oops...I forgot the adjustable spanner/wrench thingy

Didn't know there was such a thing as a Pozi screwdriver. I certainly haven't got one and just muddle by with a Philips (well I think it's a Philips, who knows, maybe it's a Pozi if that's more common). Maybe I'll ask Santa for one

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I keep drooling over a full set of Halfords Professional tools, even though I've got virtually everything in there already. Trouble is, like most people mine have been built up over the years as I've needed them and comprise of stuff of variable quality depending on how flush I was at the time of purchase. The Halfords kit looks so shiny and inviting with everything contained in one box rather than having to hunt in various nooks and crannies to find the bit I want.

It would of course now be a complete waste of money as I no longer have a motorcycle and cars are so bloody complicated that all but the basics are a garage job. The days when I would happily fit a new camshaft (Mk 1 Cavalier) or take a bike engine apart are long gone.

Mind you, they do look so shiny and nice to gaze at and hold...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Very neat and highly impressive :okay:
Don't encourage him.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Oops...I forgot the adjustable spanner/wrench thingy

Didn't know there was such a thing as a Pozi screwdriver. I certainly haven't got one and just muddle by with a Philips (well I think it's a Philips, who knows, maybe it's a Pozi if that's more common). Maybe I'll ask Santa for one

Joking aside the phillips / pozi thing really does matter. Most cross heads are pozi these days, other than far east origin electrical goods and older items. Pozi screw heads are market with an engraved cross as well as the cross-slot for the screwdriver. Philips lack this identifying mark. Screwdrivers need identifying too. You want a No 1, and No2 pozi screwdriver and at least a no 1 philips. I'd suggest a No 0 in both as well if you take apart small electrical items. You'll likely only need a no 3 for sone car jobs hence optional, and it'll be pozi almost certainly. Whether you need extra long and stubby and maybe a ratchet no2 pozi for woodwork / diy as well only you can decide. I like facom for screwdrivers especially their Isoryl range. This might sound excessive but isn't. Even if you only use each one once a year it's better than munging screws -

keithmac

Guru
I keep drooling over a full set of Halfords Professional tools, even though I've got virtually everything in there already. Trouble is, like most people mine have been built up over the years as I've needed them and comprise of stuff of variable quality depending on how flush I was at the time of purchase. The Halfords kit looks so shiny and inviting with everything contained in one box rather than having to hunt in various nooks and crannies to find the bit I want.

It would of course now be a complete waste of money as I no longer have a motorcycle and cars are so bloody complicated that all but the basics are a garage job. The days when I would happily fit a new camshaft (Mk 1 Cavalier) or take a bike engine apart are long gone.

Mind you, they do look so shiny and nice to gaze at and hold...

Hold out for the New Years sale, they will more than likely be half price ;).

DavidD

Joking aside the phillips / pozi thing really does matter. Most cross heads are pozi these days, other than far east origin electrical goods and older items. Pozi screw heads are market with an engraved cross as well as the cross-slot for the screwdriver. Philips lack this identifying mark. Screwdrivers need identifying too. You want a No 1, and No2 pozi screwdriver and at least a no 1 philips. I'd suggest a No 0 in both as well if you take apart small electrical items. You'll likely only need a no 3 for sone car jobs hence optional, and it'll be pozi almost certainly. Whether you need extra long and stubby and maybe a ratchet no2 pozi for woodwork / diy as well only you can decide. I like facom for screwdrivers especially their Isoryl range. This might sound excessive but isn't. Even if you only use each one once a year it's better than munging screws -
Love this word munge

keithmac

Guru
There's JIS as well (Japanese Industrial Standard). 9 times out of 10 a philips will undo it but the proper JIS screwdriver has better purchase..

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I know what you are saying - I'm at a loss to explain why these 'rules' regarding garage tools don't also apply to kitchen gadgets (I don't push that one though as I enjoy the produce of our kitchen.

Actually I really don't get kitchen gadgets. And neither does the wife who's an (even) better cook than me. Plenty of people buy a food processor but won't spend £50 on a good knife. We do have blingtastic copper saucepans though, and good though they are, you are into diminishing returns give what they cost even when there's a deal on

Top Bottom