Garden Rose Growers......urgent advice wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Situation is............
1. We are not good gardeners.
2. Its our 50th anniversary this week.
My s.i.l has told us that they have bought us a "special" rose and wish to bring & plant it on Monday.
Its called the Golden Anniversary Rose

Problem/question.......
The supplier advised it needs to be planted in the ground or in "A VERY VERY BIG CONTAINER"..
Now I have googled it and read that it is ideal for containers as it is bushy and grows to 24".
A container is best as our garden is fully established with no real space left.
So... if we go for a container.....how big (in inches/cmtrs) should it be????

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I wouldn’t get hung up on the size. Get the largest that fits the space and the rose will adapt to it’s confinement. It will help curtail the vigorous growth of this variety too, which is a good thing.

I would get a deep one though so you can leave at least six inches from the soil to the lip free. This will just make feeding easier. Every year scrape away the spent compost and replace with fresh, rich matter. Not your usual cheap all purpose stuff. Liquid feed is good too. Don’t let it dry out. Learn some pruning techniques too. Though in all honesty roses are very easy.

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Last edited:
I gave my parents one of these. It spent 8 years planted in their garden. When the house was eventually sold I decided to put in my own garden. When I went to dig it up I found although most of the roots were short there was one very long one that went very deep. After excavating as much as I could I had to chop this root.
Before I replanted it I put Roserootgrow (contains mycorrhizal fungi that help roots establish) in the planting hole. Last year it had two buds on it on 3rd December which is unusual for a rose but particularly poignant because that would have been my parents 70th anniversary.

Katherine

Guru
Happy Anniversary! Hope you enjoy the rose. What a lovely present.

The rose in my avatar spent its first few years in a wooden half barrel type pot but eventually the roots split the sides and bottom which rotted anyway.
It's much happier planted in the garden now. If we ever move I will have to try and dig it up. I bought it in Woolworths so that tells you how old it is!

IMG_20180722_143823121_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Lullabelle

Banana
Situation is............
1. We are not good gardeners.
2. Its our 50th anniversary this week.
My s.i.l has told us that they have bought us a "special" rose and wish to bring & plant it on Monday.
Its called the Golden Anniversary Rose

Problem/question.......
The supplier advised it needs to be planted in the ground or in "A VERY VERY BIG CONTAINER"..
Now I have googled it and read that it is ideal for containers as it is bushy and grows to 24".
A container is best as our garden is fully established with no real space left.
So... if we go for a container.....how big (in inches/cmtrs) should it be????

Congratulations ^_^

D

Deleted member 26715

Congratulations on the 50th, which also means you've known the SIL long enough to be able to say, "No Thank You" she should know by now you're not gardeners & suspect she might be.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Pot- get one where the hole at the top is wider than the body of the pot, and not one of these urn shaped things with a small hole and a wide body..... with these, if you do need to repot then the rootball will be bigger than the hole at the top, so you'll have to break the pot to get the plant out.

Don't skimp on quality compost.

A 2" layer of stones in the bottom of the pot to aid drainage is beneficial.

And congratulations!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Technically it is the wrong time of the year to plant a rose in the garden, this is normally done in the autumn once the rose has stopped growing. If you want to plant it now, water the spot and the rose generously before planting and try to keep as much of the rootball together as possible as you put in the the desired spot. Then water again and tread the soil down. Keep moist at all times and don't let it dry out.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes “technically” it is the wrong time of year to plant a rose but this very much harks back decades to the time when roses, and many other garden plants, were supplied bare root.

The advent of container (pot) growing, the public’s desire to buy plants when they look at their best and the horticultural industry quietly “persuading” us all to plant at any time means it’s not necessary to wait.

However ....... stress is the worst enemy of any newly transplanted plants and in this particular summer care is needed. I would either wait till autumn to repot or having done so keep the rose in the coolest, shadiest spot available.

Top Bottom