Gardening 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Keep getting emails from the water board to conserve water, so have stopped using the hose to water the garden. Grass has gone yellow, but I'm sure it will survive, but some of the pot plants look distressed.

Have started throwing waste water from the kitchen bowl over the plants. Is this a good idea? Sometimes the water is a little soapy from washing up. Will it harm the plants?

I've taken to putting the plug in the bath while having a shower and using the collected water on the lavendar bushes & fuschias in the garden. They've not died yet...

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

Looks like a good crop there, and you're more disciplined about removing side shoots than I am! Genovese basil is an ideal intercrop with tomatoes; we also grow Thai basil in between aubergines. Our outside Gardener's Delight toms started to ripen before the greenhouse ones, but now both are productive. Here's the first Pink Brandywine from the greenhouse, starting to rot, so destined for sauce!

P1000799.JPG

Aubergines carrying a large crop, so will soon be eating these rather than buying them!
P1000800.JPG

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Looks like a good crop there, and you're more disciplined about removing side shoots than I am! Genovese basil is an ideal intercrop with tomatoes; we also grow Thai basil in between aubergines. Our outside Gardener's Delight toms started to ripen before the greenhouse ones, but now both are productive. Here's the first Pink Brandywine from the greenhouse, starting to rot, so destined for sauce!

View attachment 654314
Aubergines carrying a large crop, so will soon be eating these rather than buying them!
View attachment 654315

not a fan of aubergines...but that crop looks a good un fair play

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I started about a month late with chillies this year but they're starting to produce well now and they should even accelerate if we get sunny days. Left to right:
Bird's-eye, scotch bonnet, cayenne, fuego, and Hungarian hot wax. The fuego are the hottest on the taste test so far, surprisingly. 🔥
The scotch bonnet are not as hot as I'd expected.
20220826_184906.jpg

Red17

Veteran
Lost all our sweetcorn again. Despite chickenwire all round and net over the top we found it had been trashed again. All plants knocked over and all cobs destroyed, same as last year.

Not sure if its foxes or badgers as both have been seen on the allotment but really love home grown sweetcorn.

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_140754.jpg
    IMG_20220820_140754.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 2

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I might be getting an allotment :wahhey:
I've been on the waiting list for about a year and I had a call from the council the other day asking if I am still interested. So I'm going to view it on Tuesday.
I've since heard that the site is having a blitz on people who've neglected their plots so I'm expecting it to be well overgrown!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I might be getting an allotment :wahhey:
I've been on the waiting list for about a year and I had a call from the council the other day asking if I am still interested. So I'm going to view it on Tuesday.
I've since heard that the site is having a blitz on people who've neglected their plots so I'm expecting it to be well overgrown!

Yes expect the worse, you might then have a pleasant surprise. Take it on, you won't regret it. Don't try getting it all ship shape in one go, cover up part with cardboard or similar and work the remaining bit, that way it won't seem as daunting. Now is a good time to take one on as you have all winter to work on it.
The Allotment Handbook by Alan Buckingham (try The Works, often discounted in there) is very good to have.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Lost all our sweetcorn again. Despite chickenwire all round and net over the top we found it had been trashed again. All plants knocked over and all cobs destroyed, same as last year.

Not sure if its foxes or badgers as both have been seen on the allotment but really love home grown sweetcorn.

Why I don't grow sweetcorn; cubbies on patrol last night. If they take a liking to heritage tomatoes I'll have a real problem!
IMG_0737_Moment.jpg

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Well I was right in thinking it might be a bit overgrown.
2022-08-30 19.29.03.jpg

I chose the smallest of the three plots on offer, but more for the location than the size - I won't have to walk through someone else's plot to get to mine.

I think there may be some structure under the vegetation - perhaps the wooden edges of beds. We'll see when I get to grips with it.

Attachments

• 2022-08-30 19.28.56.jpg
    2022-08-30 19.28.56.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 3

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Well I was right in thinking it might be a bit overgrown.
View attachment 659426

I chose the smallest of the three plots on offer, but more for the location than the size - I won't have to walk through someone else's plot to get to mine.

I think there may be some structure under the vegetation - perhaps the wooden edges of beds. We'll see when I get to grips with it.

The plot beside mine has come up for grabs and looked similar. I've been over it with a paraffin flame gun twice and it now looks much more presentable. Someone is looking at it tomorrow.
Take it a bit at a time and you'll get there. I see you've got horsetail (every allotment has), learn to live with it, you won't eradicate it. I dig bits up where I don't want it and drown them to make a liquid feed.

Top Bottom