Gardening 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
What have you either started or are going to start this growing year....?
We have after almost three years now have a plan....granted it's been influenced by a toddler, until the fenced off area is completed the lawn is toast :ohmy::laugh:
A simple planter completely made my son no2 on his own with gladioli and tulips, he’ll paint it I’m sure at some point.
Show the pictures of the progress.....

Attachments

• E86DCB61-D1F9-4568-8E77-00A1345A91C0.jpeg
    E86DCB61-D1F9-4568-8E77-00A1345A91C0.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 2ADAD875-73D2-433D-89FD-378B98AEF561.jpeg
    2ADAD875-73D2-433D-89FD-378B98AEF561.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 10
  • F62532F1-5295-4216-B8CD-1DDA1F700466.jpeg
    F62532F1-5295-4216-B8CD-1DDA1F700466.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 11

Jody

Stubborn git
Making an appearance last week was my first Japanese Maple grown from seed. Be interesting to see what I've got as they never grow true. Looks like it might be a dissectum but the first true leaves are only just immerging. .

Plenty of mini Dafs and Tulips on the patio.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We have been giving the garden its Spring tidy up over the past few days as it has been cold but sunny. We have a lot of roses and it can be a time consuming job if you let it be. I prune roses with garden shears. It is very quick and works a treat. We get masses of roses. We have a lot of painting to do this year. We are painting the house, shed, carport and fences. The rest of the plants look after themselves as we have an English cottage garden in Denmark.

Attachments

• 20220419_190134.jpg
    20220419_190134.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Making an appearance last week was my first Japanese Maple grown from seed. Be interesting to see what I've got as they never grow true. Looks like it might be a dissectum but the first true leaves are only just immerging. .

Plenty of mini Dafs and Tulips on the patio.

Growing things from seed you've collected is one of life's great excitements. Well, it is for me!

Tail End Charlie

We have been giving the garden its Spring tidy up over the past few days as it has been cold but sunny. We have a lot of roses and it can be a time consuming job if you let it be. I prune roses with garden shears. It is very quick and works a treat. We get masses of roses. We have a lot of painting to do this year. We are painting the house, shed, carport and fences. The rest of the plants look after themselves as we have an English cottage garden in Denmark.

I too prune some of my roses that way, with a hedgetrimmer and the harder I prune the more they bounce back. None of this "third bud up from the second leaf" for me. :okay:

Tail End Charlie

An impulse buy for me last year was a senna corymbosa (I thought it was a bladder senna). It was beautiful for months over the summer, but all my gardening books says it must be kept above 7C (i.e. indoors, or under glass). There was no way I could move the pot indoors, so thought I'd try wrapping it in fleece. I used a double layer and used pipe lagging on the stem. There were several -6C nights last winter and many days of below freezing temps, so I wasn't too hopeful. I took off the lagging and fleece a couple of days go expecting to find a totally dead plant, but, although a load of brown leaves fell off, there's quite a few new shoots showing.
I still wrap it up at night but I hope I have a display like last year. It was like this from June till October.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Not having a heated greenhouse im depending on hardy annuals to give a splash of colour this year though i will sow some morning glory and nasturtium when it warms up [a lot]. I strewed some cornflower and marigold seed around yesterday and the pesky sparrows were enjoying a dust bath until i gave it a good watering.
re-rose pruning, i could never take a hedge trimmer to roses :laugh: i like to keep roses continually rejuvenated by taking older wood out at the base which encourages new growth-works for me.
pic rose Dublin Bay in my last garden

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
I chopped my roses back hard this winter as I've had a mare with black spot. I'm heavily feeding them and mulching them hoping they recover. The new growth is looking good.

Davos87

Guru
I have lots of cosmos on the go. I find them easy to grow, they look beautiful, do very well in my garden and flower profusely if you deadhead them regularly. I have some parsley, chives and basil in the greenhouse that I have had a go at for the first time and all doing well. I intend to give lots of the basil to family and friends to grow on their windowsills. One question though.....will each single basil seedling currently pricked out into modules grow into a sturdy little plants when I pot them on or will I need to put two or three little plants into a pot to grow on and enable picking?

will each single basil seedling currently pricked out into modules grow into a sturdy little plants when I pot them on or will I need to put two or three little plants into a pot to grow on and enable picking?
I hate to give this answer, but like so much in gardening, 'it depends' - in this case mainly on the variety/type of basil you've sown ... some branch out beautifully into proper little plants, all by themselves, some need judicious pinching back at the right time, and just grow up and up ...

Top Bottom