Garmin and Strava Live

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Finally got on board the Garmin band wagon with a 520, one of my reasons for wanting this one is the Strava Live Segments.

I have very little time to do cycling so tend to go for a jolly good all out thrash whenever I get a chance- the Strava Live has really pushed me to increase my performance.

Setting it up was simple, the starring/ goal setting was annoying to start with but makes sense when you consider how many segments one passes through on a ride.

Nothing (besides a fellow rider) will make me push harder up a hill or through a segment like seeing the little timer in the corner telling me I'm loosing my lead against the KOM- I'm getting better averages, faster up hills and better placements against virtual rivals I've never met.

I'm fully aware that there's more to cycling than KOM hunting but I love crunching numbers and it's something I enjoy, I'm sure when I have a bit more spare time 4/5 hours in the saddle riding by feel will have it's place, but for now I'm loving my new toy.

huggy

What's the advantage of the 520 or any head unit over just using your phone?

When using live segments I've noticed that it's just splits the KOM and PR times evenly over the segment. So if the first half is steeper than the second your always behind.

Joffey

Big Dosser
You don't need to attach your phone to your handlebars? If you crash you don't smash your phone? Better battery life than your phone? No need to have phone backlight on all the time? Phone isn't ANT+? Don't damage phone if it rains?

rockpig

Über Member
I have a 520 and love it too. I just worry that I spend almost as much time looking at my stats as I do riding the bike that creates them ;-)

You don't need to attach your phone to your handlebars? If you crash you don't smash your phone? Better battery life than your phone? No need to have phone backlight on all the time? Phone isn't ANT+? Don't damage phone if it rains?
Topeak smartphone drybag addresses most of these issues.
  1. Mounts on handlebars
  2. would offer a lot of protection in an accident.
  3. waterproof
If I had a crash where my phone in the drybag was damaged, I'd be more worried about the damage to myself and my bike, because it would be a nasty accident. And if it's a nasty crash, the phone might be damaged in your saddle bag or (god forbid) back pocket - because you still need a data enabled phone with you.

Most phones have BLE, and that will work with strava for HRM (eg from aldi) or cadence and speed (eg from Wahoo).

Sure, the phone with the screen on would use more power than garmin, but it will still last several hours and you can get an awful lot external batteries for the price of a 520. And you're phone is still on with data and bluetooth, so it will still be using a reasonable amount of power.

More power to you if you enjoy your Garmin, but you can certainly try live strava segments for less outlay than a new GPS.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Topeak smartphone drybag addresses most of these issues.
  1. Mounts on handlebars
  2. would offer a lot of protection in an accident.
  3. waterproof
If I had a crash where my phone in the drybag was damaged, I'd be more worried about the damage to myself and my bike, because it would be a nasty accident. And if it's a nasty crash, the phone might be damaged in your saddle bag or (god forbid) back pocket - because you still need a data enabled phone with you.

Most phones have BLE, and that will work with strava for HRM (eg from aldi) or cadence and speed (eg from Wahoo).

Sure, the phone with the screen on would use more power than garmin, but it will still last several hours and you can get an awful lot external batteries for the price of a 520. And you're phone is still on with data and bluetooth, so it will still be using a reasonable amount of power.

More power to you if you enjoy your Garmin, but you can certainly try live strava segments for less outlay than a new GPS.
There are certainly cheaper options but I find the Garmin easier, I dont have to bother with putting the phone in the drybag etc, I just stick the garmin in its mount or just cycle off if its still there from before. The 520 also has hardware buttons which is a plus point for me if Im wearing gloves where the touch screen can be hit or miss. The GPS is also superior to my phone GPS.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I agree. Any cycling GPS is a better option than a phone. Plus a phone strapped to your bars looks horrible. You can get started on Strava Live Segments for the price of a second hand Garmin 510. By the time you tot up your dry bag, external batteries (and associated weight and aesthetic horrors) you may as well bite the bullet and get a Garmin.

Oh, your 520 has a barometric altimeter too (as mine does) so your elevation readings will be more accurate too.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
When using live segments I've noticed that it's just splits the KOM and PR times evenly over the segment. So if the first half is steeper than the second your always behind.

I've not noticed this - but maybe I haven't looked closely enough, or all my segments are pretty even...

Top Bottom