Garmin Connect Down - And made me think...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunja99

Seems Garmin Connect been down all day, and can't remember when the last time this happenned if ever?! I've got years of data stored there, and presunably this will all be back up soon, but did make me think... What would happen if they lost all our data, or corrupted, or even (and probably a long way off) they closed down. Do you guys back up the information, what else is available to store/track all this. My Strava more recent (last 2 years), and has copies, but does anyone download all their previous tracks, is there a useful tool to do it for you, or?

Just made me think...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't save stuff. You can just copy off the files if you want to and store on your PC.

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

I don't save stuff. You can just copy off the files if you want to and store on your PC.
Yeah know you can copy/download them, but would be nice to have an automated service to backup all these "vital" stats files (mainly my running), but...
It's been a pain today. They are saying it is maintenance but I'm suspicious as it's an unusual time to carry out this amount of maintenance. I'm concerned that they have perhaps been hacked which wouldn't be good
Yeah it does seem a very very long time... I know systems have issues, but since my run at 7am and going to check it's been down at least since them. Fingers crossed back soon!

BigMeatball

What would happen if they lost all our data, or corrupted, or even (and probably a long way off) they closed down.

My approach to data is very much towards the "I don't give a crap" side.

It's like if my house burned down...what can I do? I can just start building a new one and forget about what's gone. So, in summary, screw data

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

My approach to data is very much towards the "I don't give a crap" side.

It's like if my house burned down...what can I do? I can just start building a new one and forget about what's gone. So, in summary, screw data
Heh fair enuf, but how will you know how many rides you did in May 2016...

I guess it's like photos. Most are crap, but there are photos stored digitally I'd love to get back years later, mainly of the kids

dodgy

Rumour is they're subject to a ransomware attack. All speculation so far, but all the signs are there. Phones - down, email - down, website - down.

I'm not calling it a hack yet, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I save all my data on Strava and VeloViewer too.
Bit of a bugger as I've just bought a Garmin watch and tested it this morning:laugh:I left Garmin about three years ago and defected to Wahoo but the G-Watch is to replace the rather crappy Apple Watch.
Not a good start but worse things have happened!

ianbarton

Veteran
I save all my data to Ride With GPS and Strava. RWGPS will allow you to export all your data in one go, or in a given time span. Being a data geek, I also save all my rides to a GithHub repository.

Top Bottom