Garmin Edge 200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
I've just put a cheeky bid on a Garmin Edge 200.
I don't know that much about them, and was wondering can the overall mileage on them be altered to reflect the total miles I've cycled over the years.
Best Regards,
Johnny :-)

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hi.
I've just put a cheeky bid on a Garmin Edge 200.
I don't know that much about them, and was wondering can the overall mileage on them be altered to reflect the total miles I've cycled over the years.
Best Regards,
Johnny :-)
No, because they are tracking devices rather than a traditional bike computer. So they will only record what you do while it is attached to your bike, and what you download to your computer after a ride.

Edit.... Although I do believe on the likes of Strava you can make a manual entry. I've never used that facility but presumably you can make a manual entry to show your previous rides? It might be a very long winded affair if you've done a lot of miles! Unless of course you just make it one ride of several thousand miles or whatever...

Slick

Guru
I have one as it was going ridiculously cheap in Aldi, but not too sure if you can change the miles, I don't think so though. The biggest annoyance or disappointment with this was there is I expected blue tooth which in retrospect was a bit hopeful considering what I paid for it.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've been thinking about getting one for some time but the cost has always held me back..I've spotted a second hand one though going dirt cheap at the moment. Hopefully I,'ll win it :-) :-)

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Whilst it lacks Bluetooth it makes up for it by being the most reliable cycling computer in Garmins range.
If the 200 is the most reliable, I dread to think what the others are like! Mine stopped recording my rides on the computer over a year ago although it works perfectly on the bike.

Brandane

Legendary Member
If the 200 is the most reliable, I dread to think what the others are like! Mine stopped recording my rides on the computer over a year ago although it works perfectly on the bike.
I had a similar problem and solved it following a helpful suggestion on this site from @Jason . Uninstall and then re-install Garmin Express, then link it back up to your Garmin Connect account (and Strava if you use that).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's not the computer it's the software as @Brandane says above.

After 5 years of use for my 200, the battery has started to deteriorate. Battery swap done for a tenner and it's like a new machine again so am expecting another 5 years of use again.

The beauty of the 200 is it's simplicity. It just works. Both recording and the breadcrumb trail routes you can follow.

Something that Garmin doesn't seem to have grasped or tackled with the rest of the range.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I upload directly to strava, i found connect to be a PITA as well.
i had an issue years ago whee the pc didnt recognize it, this fixed it.
. I held the page button (bottom left) and continued to hold it while plugging the unit into the usb cable and it was recognized.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have a Garmin Edge 25 and it has bluetooth - is that a better model than the 200 - surely they get better as the number increases!

You miss the point of the thread. It's not a case of which Garmin is better, rather then how good and/or reliable a certain machine is.
I would say all other Garmins are 'better' then the 200 if you are looking for more all singing, dancing, all the bells and whistles etc. The point being the 200 has less on it for it to go wrong. It's a simple recording/gps device.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Was a chap in a mobile phone repair shop local to me.
I would have done it myself but don't have a small enough torx key

Top Bottom