Garmin Edge 200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you have to buy a battery and take it to the shop or is it something standard that these shops carry? I need to change my battery too.Regards Colin

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I have one.
No nonsense with a great backlight.
Brilliant little unit.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do you have to buy a battery and take it to the shop or is it something standard that these shops carry? I need to change my battery too.Regards Colin

Bought a replacement battery from Ebay

Used the Garmin today for the first time since replacement. My old one would have used over 25% charge for a daily commute.
the new battery it was 2%.
So for £20, it's like a brand new Garmin.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No, because they are tracking devices rather than a traditional bike computer. So they will only record what you do while it is attached to your bike, and what you download to your computer after a ride.

Edit.... Although I do believe on the likes of Strava you can make a manual entry. I've never used that facility but presumably you can make a manual entry to show your previous rides? It might be a very long winded affair if you've done a lot of miles! Unless of course you just make it one ride of several thousand miles or whatever...

Depends on the GPS many keep track of overall mileage aka odometer

Brandane

Legendary Member
Depends on the GPS many keep track of overall mileage aka odometer
But... The OP wanted to know if it is possible to alter the mileage on a second hand unit to reflect the mileage he has done in the past (prior to him owning the Garmin). That can't be done AFAIK..

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But... The OP wanted to know if it is possible to alter the mileage on a second hand unit to reflect the mileage he has done in the past (prior to him owning the Garmin). That can't be done AFAIK..

Which you can do on the Edge 500 via the bike profile. This is an older model of Garmin GPS. So likely to be able to do the same on Edge 200.

wxbull

I have a Garmin Edge 25 and it has bluetooth - is that a better model than the 200 - surely they get better as the number increases!
not a chance. I have a 25 and much preferred the 200. One main reason, you cannot pause a ride and turn off with the 25. So I just use it on hols now and have bought a touring garmin which had loads more battery life and you can pause and turn off and carry on ride.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Which you can do on the Edge 500 via the bike profile. This is an older model of Garmin GPS. So likely to be able to do the same on Edge 200.
Nope. Can't be done.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@ianrauk sounds like you could start offering a service of replacing 200 battery units

Ps if anybody wants an 800 edge get in touch
It actually looks pretty easy to do. There are some good instructional You Tube videos out there. The only reason I didn't was because you need special tool for the bolts. Looks like a tiny torx.
So couldn't be bothered to buy a tool that I may only use once, so asked chap in local mobile phone fixing shop and he did it whilst I waited. Not even 10 minutes.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It actually looks pretty easy to do. There are some good instructional You Tube videos out there. The only reason I didn't was because you need special tool for the bolts. Looks like a tiny torx.
So couldn't be bothered to buy a tool that I may only use once, so asked chap in local mobile phone fixing shop and he did it whilst I waited. Not even 10 minutes.

Sorry i thought you did it yourself but good idea re phone shop .

Will have to look on you tube

Ajax Bay

Guru
Bought a replacement battery from Ebay
Thanks ian will buy one.
Caveat emptor regarding these sorts of batteries on e the bay. I bought one (by no means the cheapest) on the bay and when the nice man in the phone shop had installed it I found its length of service per charge was even worse (no change to apps etc). But that was for an iPhone4. Maybe the battery for a 200 has none of those quality issues.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Caveat emptor regarding these sorts of batteries on e the bay. I bought one (by no means the cheapest) on the bay and when the nice man in the phone shop had installed it I found its length of service per charge was even worse (no change to apps etc). But that was for an iPhone4. Maybe the battery for a 200 has none of those quality issues.

Now used for 3 commutes, early days but the battery is holding a near full charge.

Top Bottom