Garmin edge 500 fault since software update

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by David_widnes, 13 Jul 2012.

  1. David_widnes

    David_widnes Senior Member

    Has anyone experienced any problems with their Garmin Edge 500 since updating the software to version 3.0???

    Mine looks like its working fine when i turn it on but when i start moving the speed reading never gets above 6 mph and more often doesn't even register that im moving.

    All the other data field readings such as HR and Time are working fine just the speed reading is faulty.

    The problem has only started since i upgraded the software to 3.0 and i cant reinstall the older version.

    I'm gutted really because it didn't work last Sunday when i did the Liverpool to Chester ride as i reckon i did 130 miles on the day which was my longest ever single days ride and cant prove it.
  2. Garz

    Garz Squat Member

    Are you using the wheel sensor?
  3. fossyant

    fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

    South Manchester
    Make sure you never update for a few weeks and let some other poor sod find the issues. Garmin buggered up the 705 about a year ago. The update was soon removed and a new one issued. Caused the unit to auto pause under trees which was weird as it never does that.
  4. defy-one

    defy-one Guest

    My 200 is up for a f/w upgrade,but i'll wait until September
  5. yello

    yello Legendary Member

    A French desert
    Sadly Garmin do have somewhat of a reputation for not quite getting it right first time. There is no shortage of reports of people having had their units buggered up by a new software release (that said, I'm sure most have no problems at all). I can only but agree whole heartedly with the advice given upstream - that is, don't take a new update for a good few weeks.

    Re your problem, have a look at the Garmin forums and see if others have experienced the same thing.
  6. OP

    David_widnes Senior Member

    looks like ive fixed it i took off the cadence sensor and everything else works ok now
  7. Garz

    Garz Squat Member

    Just re-pair them.
  8. amaferanga

    amaferanga Veteran

    Check the wheel circumference setting as well. If its set to auto then change that to manual and enter the measured wheel circumference.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice