Garmin Edge 800 User Guide (With Fancy Pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
Yes, it has a barometric altimeter built in. Can't vouch or accuracy though, sometimes it will read 3500ft ascended on a flat road
I found with the 705 and to a slightly lesser extent the 800 that in certain weather conditions, e.g. cloudy drizzle or heavier, the altitude reading is drivel. presumably this is because neither the atmospheric pressure nor the GPS reception is sufficient for accurate 3D readings.

mask

Yep,
Tried that forum, with no success,
I thought I give this site ago,
Looks like I've got an expensive paper weight too,:angry:
Murdock did you sort the problem?

U

User19783

Nope, the unit is unusable, , been using strava to record my rides,
So I won't be buying another Garmin product very soon ,

zacklaws

Guru
If not, how would I find out how far above sea level I actually am?

To get an accurate figure for rides, store your start point as a location and add to it the elevation. When you start a ride, the 800 will recalibrate the elevation to that start point soon as you press the "start" button. There are a few places where you can obtain the elevation from to add to your start point, Google Earth being the simplest and its always best to cross check with another mapping program or an OS map. You can set up a few locations that you pass by and if the 800's out it will recalibrate itself again as you pass them on route, but its very rare I find. Usually when I get back to the start point, the 800 has only drifted a few metres out but not enough to recalibrate.

zacklaws

Guru
1. Click on "Menu"
2. Select the spanner icon bottom right of screen
3.Select "System"
4.Select "GPS"
5. Select "Mark Location"
6. Select "Save and Edit"
7. Then, select any of the options that you want to

Alternatively, a quicker way

1. Click on "Menu"
2. Touch the top left of the screen where the satalite reception bars are
3. Proceed as number 5 above

Alternatively

1. Switch to the map page
2. Scroll the map to the position that you want the start point or any other location
3. Touch the screen at the position you want, a pin will appear, zooming in aids accuracy
4. If you miss your point, just touch the screen again
5. At the top of the screen a field will appear with the data for where the pin is on the map
6.Touch this field
7. At the bottom of the screen, touch the icon with a flag
8. The location will be saved along with a number.
9. To edit this location, just open up locations, find the location or locations that you have just created and edit them etc

For a mystery ride based on a location you have created:-

1. Select or create your home location or start location.
2. Open it up as in number 6 above and number 7
3. Scroll to the bottom of the options
4. Select "Project Location"
5. Enter a bearing.
6. Enter a distance
7. Care needs to be taken if you live near natural features like the coast as your bearing and distance could take you out into the sea etc
8. Take note of the name of the location and Save
9. Open up Locations, find the location you just saved, select it, then press "Go"
10. Navigation will then plot you a route to an unknown destination. (It could be in middle of nowhere, but when the tarmac turns to soil which is usually very close to the destination, replot a route home)
11. Alternatively, to ride an even more mystery ride but on a circular route, do all the above, plot the ride "Off Road", a straight purple line will be projected on the map from Home to Location/destination. The objective then is to ride by guesswork either clockwise or anti clockwise around the tip of the purple line which terminates at the projected bearing and location It can be hard, as the purple line moves. Another variation is to plot the ride by on road navigation, but not to follow it and in a similar fashion, ride around the course and around the location by guesswork and avoid crossing the purple line.

Last edited:

gbs

Guru
800 issues:
1 LOST CARD: normally my PC screen shows a G drive for the unit and an F drive for the SD card. I store routes on the card. Now, the F drive is no longer visible. What to do to recover the card? Is card storage better in some way?

2 "GPS is off": this rather chilling message appeared yesterday but was resolved by power off/on. Is any one else having that experience?

IrishMoon

touchscreen doesn't work
I have tried a manual calibration, I reset it by pushing power and lap reset button, the "touch the dot " appears, the dot keeps on appearing for ages until the screen appears, saying cant find satellities . I have tried it outside with still no success
Any ideas?
many thanks

jessand

Veteran
Why does my 800 give turn directions intermitently? I have OSM installed and use GPX files provided by ride organisers and turn guidance on before starting each course. The routes are there and I sometimes get the tbt directions for perhaps 20 or 30 miles and then they stop, other times they may only work for the first few turns - although I still have a course to follow. This also apllies when I do a ride and save it as a course in Garmin connect. Is it me, the settings or the installed maps? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

silly question but what is a course and workout timer and why would I need them?

I still have not figured out what to do re mapping, need to read the pages again.

Thanks for posting great resource

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A course is what you plan on your pc, download, start then follow to a destination or around a loop.

You can create a workout and follow that (much in the same way as a course) although a majorly unused feature..

Top Bottom