Garmin Edge 800 User Guide (With Fancy Pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I bought an 810 ten days ago and hope to get out with it tomorrow for the first time. This is a great thread, thanks to the OP. I'm glad I spent a whole evening reading the manual and playing as I can now relate to the very practical help offered here. I have two questions:

The 810 very briefly says the map installed is Intl Standard Basemap NR 3.0. Most of my riding is in the UK, primarily the north-west, and France where I will be on holiday in a couple of weeks - St Malo to Nice!

I'd like to get the best available, or at least most suitable, maps, please could people advise on this. I am happy to pay for these, in fact I prefer to do so as it rules out, I hope, me being technically illiterate and can get support from the provider.

Secondly what size SD card should I purchase? Again I'm happy to buy what is best rather than what I can get away with.

many thanks

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Just buy the current Garmin map for Europe on an sd card and stick it in.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well I am now very confused. I have a new 810 without heart rate monitor etc. At purchase there seemed to be maps on the device. When the device boots up at the bottom of the screen flashes across:

Base map 3.0. Courtesy of National Highway Planning Network on behalf of Federal Highway Administration. This sounds to me as though it's American?

If I open the map it acquires satellites and correctly locates me at home. Therefore I must have a UK map of some sort pre-installed on the device. If I open the device in My Computer I see a number of folders from Activities through to Workouts - some are empty, Activities for example, others have data, Settings, for example which would make sense for a new device.

I then have a number of files the largest of which is gmpabmap.img at 5,898 kb. I also have gmaptz.img at 598 kb. The other files are between 1 - 25kb so can't contain much. I registered with Garmin, the website recognises the 810. When I look in My Maps it says, "No Maps"

Yesterday I purchased genuine Garmin SD card from Evans for City Navigator Europe NT Full Coverage 2014. If I now look in My Computer with the SD card installed on the 810 I have a drive F of 3.68GB of which 806Mb are free - doesn't seem like much. All the folders are empty except for gmapsupp.img which 3,034,944 kb which must be maps?

At boot up NTL Standard Basemap Autoroute NR 3.0 on behalf of National Highway Planning flashes across the bottom of the screen. American again. The boot up is slower with the SD card inserted which indicates something is being loaded.

if I connect to the Garmin website it still says "No Maps." When I look at the maps on the 810 nothing has changed as far as I can see. I can't find any option to select a different map or even anything to tell me what maps are available.

Three years ago I bought a Garmin and couldn't get anywhere with it, fortunately I was able to sell it on. I'm getting a horrible feeling I spent £70 on a 4GB SD card yesterday. What I really don't understand is having invested £450 on the 810 and maps why doesn't the damn thing offer me any options of any sort? I realise there is a learning curve, I've deliberatley avoided putting it on the bike and have read the manual from top to bottom, carefully following the .

What am I doing wrong?

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Well I am now very confused. I have a new 810 without heart rate monitor etc. At purchase there seemed to be maps on the device. When the device boots up at the bottom of the screen flashes across:

Base map 3.0. Courtesy of National Highway Planning Network on behalf of Federal Highway Administration. This sounds to me as though it's American?
I'd say so

If I open the map it acquires satellites and correctly locates me at home. Therefore I must have a UK map of some sort pre-installed on the device. If I open the device in My Computer I see a number of folders from Activities through to Workouts - some are empty, Activities for example, others have data, Settings, for example which would make sense for a new device.
They all have at the very least a basemap, though they are worse than crap :smile: The folders are empty due to it being a new device of course.

I then have a number of files the largest of which is gmpabmap.img at 5,898 kb. I also have gmaptz.img at 598 kb. The other files are between 1 - 25kb so can't contain much. I registered with Garmin, the website recognises the 810. When I look in My Maps it says, "No Maps"
.img files are the map files of course. they can be named absolutely anything as long as they retain the .img. I renamed mine just to make them clearer on my sd card. I have 2-3 different mapsets I disable/enable as required

Yesterday I purchased genuine Garmin SD card from Evans for City Navigator Europe NT Full Coverage 2014. If I now look in My Computer with the SD card installed on the 810 I have a drive F of 3.68GB of which 806Mb are free - doesn't seem like much. All the folders are empty except for gmapsupp.img which 3,034,944 kb which must be maps?
Yes. gmapsupp.img is your map file. Mine is just over 3gb.

At boot up NTL Standard Basemap Autoroute NR 3.0 on behalf of National Highway Planning flashes across the bottom of the screen. American again. The boot up is slower with the SD card inserted which indicates something is being loaded.
Yes, it preloads the maps

if I connect to the Garmin website it still says "No Maps." When I look at the maps on the 810 nothing has changed as far as I can see. I can't find any option to select a different map or even anything to tell me what maps are available.
I can't recall the 810's GUI but Spanner - System - Maps - Map Information (press and hold the basemap and disable it. Make sure the other file is enabled.

Three years ago I bought a Garmin and couldn't get anywhere with it, fortunately I was able to sell it on. I'm getting a horrible feeling I spent £70 on a 4GB SD card yesterday. What I really don't understand is having invested £450 on the 810 and maps why doesn't the damn thing offer me any options of any sort? I realise there is a learning curve, I've deliberatley avoided putting it on the bike and have read the manual from top to bottom, carefully following the .

What am I doing wrong?
Over thinking it a bit? What options?

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati

What am I doing wrong?

What is it youre trying to do that you cant? 810's pretty simple to use...

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
I had a problem with my 800 and lost my map (City Navigator Europe NT) so went online to the Garmin shop and purchased a new copy, I cant seem to upload it to my edge though as it says there is not enough space, I can however upload it to an sd card. Another problem that I have is that now my mapsource program doesn't have any maps on it and wont recognise that I have a map on my sd card when I plug my edge into my computer. Any help would be much appreciated, cheers, Sean.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Does anyone know how to fix the navigation?

I plan my route, copy it to my 810, and start it. Almost immediately it starts telling me to take a different route, and will keep this up all the way round. It looks like it's trying to get me to go back to the start.

All I want it to do is tell me when there's a junction/turning coming up and if I go off course, route me back to it.

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Is recalculate turned on in routing options?

Does the 810 have options for each course(I can't remember) Make sure Turn Guidance and Off-Course Warning are on

D

Deleted member 18052

You just turn re-routing off once on the 810, and it shouldnt do it and should say off course when you go wrong.

Well on mine it does...?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Replaced my Edge 305 with the 800 about 3 month back

Cant get open street maps or Audax maps as a zipped file onto my 800, so its confined to the draw as my EDGE 305 is just as useful.

What is it Im doing wrong :sad:

Starting at the top, do I need to download any Garmin specific software?

Anyone who can teach me Zipped files/open street map on my Garmin gets a Edge 305 posted free :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

garmin.jpg
The map file should be mapname.img (the .img is HIGHLY IMPORTANT the other bit isn't)

And should look something like this on the sd card

YahudaMoon

Über Member
The map file should be mapname.img (the .img is HIGHLY IMPORTANT the other bit isn't)

Hi

Yeah I managed that, even had it on the SD card though not working on the Garmin :sad: gave up after numurous You Tubes and written 'Open StreetMaps made easy for muppets' blogs :smile:

OP
OP
T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T

Did you turn the map on?

Spanner - System - Map - Map info - (disable the stock basemap) and touch each map name to bring up the enable/disable menu

Top Bottom