Garmin edge touring route calculation error

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My edge touring seems incapable of following of route be that a gpx file or one directly from garmin connect - today it was worse than ever....

Any idea if this is sort able - I've got recalculation turned off and the software version is 4.20

Any suggests gratefully received...

Yes. Flog it and replace with a phone and case charger. No more crashing, proper screen, better map. Rwgps app around £30 pa. case charger on my iPhone gives me around 7hr riding.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have an old "follow the line" garmin dakota 20 which does the job . I find it easier to follow the line on a blank screen rather than overlayed on the OS map.

Oddly enough I always found Garmin navigation (bike products, not car sat navs) very poor. If you are serious about navigation, as others have said, you can't beat the quality apps on smartphones. Once you've cracked the charging problem, either carry some form of external battery pack, or install a USB charger to yer dynamo.

Not specifically for your Edge but I did start a thread about Garmin problems you've fixed. Some of the things in it might help or at least point you in the right direction

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a-thread-for-garmin-problems-youve-fixed.223685/#post-4955390

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
What I have found on the Edge Touring is:
* If you use a tcx file you will get the upcoming elevation shown (so you can see the hills to come). You don't get that with a gpx file.
* If you're doing over 100k it's probably best to slice the route into chunks and navigate shorter bits.
* Sometimes it will accept a route and navigate it OK if you set it up before you start, but will refuse it and give error messages if you ask it to start navigating when you're part way through the ride.
* My experience is: Once it works, it works fine, but getting it to accept the route and start navigating is the hurdle.

Interesting I rarely have a problem when I am starting out - but it stopped navigating 3 times on a 50 mile route sunday. Have logged a call with garmin and will see what they say.

Does anyone know if I can just follow a breadcrumb trail in the edge touring ? - I used that some years ago on an old edge 205 - it was basic but pretty bombproof !

Last edited:

Kuotaaj

Had route calculation error on some rides. Also lost functionality on my 1000 edge tourer such as address search and round route calculation. Tried factory reset but no fix. The one thing I found is that there was only one map layer on my Garmin, was sure when I first purchased that there were many. By chance recently connected to Garmin express where there was a free map update, really big update in memory size, so big had to buy a 16 gb micro sd card. However 3 hours later and all functionality restored and no route calculation errors. Success!

Top Bottom