Garmin et al - an ignorant question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've put a bunch of routes on Plotaroute https://www.plotaroute.com/ in preparation for ride from London to Pisa.

I'd normally rely on maps, but maps of France and Italy are not as clever as the OS maps, and road signs in Italy are notable for their absence. I could use a phone to work out my location and relate it to the paper maps, but I am toying, after a decade of resistance, with the idea of getting one of these not-so-new fangled routefinding devices.

The plotaroutes have about 5000 points per route.

Is there a GPS device that could hold a dozen or so of these routes? Better yet, given that I'm thinking of a really big ride in 2017, is there a device that could hold fifty?

Or, am I approaching this from the wrong angle? Is there another way?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The number of routes is a not a problem - you can have thousands. You may need to use the functionality in plotaroute to reduce the number of points though. A simple Garmin Edge Touring will be enough assuming you don't want the 'training' functionalities of other models.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/sports-recreation/cycling/edge-touring/prod134596.html

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
I would defer to @redfalo better knowledge. I use a Garmin 800 with Open Street Europe maps. I use a portable battery pack for longer rides. The 800 can hold multiple routes. I use Ride with GPS to plot my journeys I then export them as a GPX Track which uses less way points than TCX files. Always use a track compared to a route as it will direct you along a precise route rather than just loading the way points and allowing the device to decide the route between them.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As what @AKA Bob has said, use Ridewithgps. It's a much better route plotting map website.

Well, well, well.. DZ wanting a Garmin.. what is the world coming to?

If you want a machine that does turn by turn mapping ala a SatNav, without all the bells and whistles then a Garmin Touring would be a good choice.

Garmin Touring at DC Rainmaker HERE

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I've put a bunch of routes on Plotaroute https://www.plotaroute.com/ in preparation for ride from London to Pisa.

I'd normally rely on maps, but maps of France and Italy are not as clever as the OS maps, and road signs in Italy are notable for their absence. I could use a phone to work out my location and relate it to the paper maps, but I am toying, after a decade of resistance, with the idea of getting one of these not-so-new fangled routefinding devices.

The plotaroutes have about 5000 points per route.

Is there a GPS device that could hold a dozen or so of these routes? Better yet, given that I'm thinking of a really big ride in 2017, is there a device that could hold fifty?

Or, am I approaching this from the wrong angle? Is there another way?

I thought we'd dissuaded you a while ago?

In all seriousness, unless you're also planning to take a laptop to replot routes when something goes wrong, I wouldn't bother. The IGN 100 maps of France are fantastic, and light, and you don't need many of them. I don't know about Italy.

But you don't want to find, half-way up an Alp, that your GPS or plotting has gone wrong and you don't know where your next hotel is.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you want free Garmin compatible maps (derived from Open Street Map) then I can recommend www.velomap.org I've used them for France, Sweden, Finland and Norway (but not Italy).

Use with GPX files prepared by one of a million different possible sites and you have a track to follow and if you do get lost half way up an alp you have a local map to hand. Unfortunately it will be local map on a display only marginally bigger than a postage stamp.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I don't think the number of routes/tracks is a limitation on modern Garmins. According to this site, you can save up to 2000 GPX files on modern devices. https://support.garmin.com/support/...caseId={0b02f820-03db-11e0-e050-000000000000}

older Garmin's had a very annoying limitation of 500 points per track, but contemporary one's do 10000 points per track, so there's no issue there.

there are different philosophies in using Garmins. i try to keep it as simple as possible and don't care about turn by turn directions. I basically use it like ma digital map, have the track shown on the map and follow it visually.

If you want turn by turn directions, the cycling specific devices are your best bet. but from my point of view, they have several downsides: Primarily the build-in battery and the relativly small screen. moreover, I have met gazillions of riders having issues with the turn by turn functionality.

I use a GPSmaps 64s these days, but the Oregon 600 or so the extrex are nice alternatives. they all take AA batteries and you can use them for hiking as well.

Last edited:

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Oh, and you don't need to carry a laptop for re-plotting routes on the way. what i often do when camping touring in France is working out the route on a paper map in the evening and then just manually enter waypoints at strategically important junctions on the Garmin. Works a treat.

As of free OSM-based maps, my recommendation is this website: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl you can download maps in format which you can just drag and drop on to the device

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I use a GPSmaps 64s these days, but the Oregon 600 or so the extrex are nice alternatives. they all take AA batteries and you can use them for hiking as well.
Another vote for the AA driven multi purpose jobs. Replaceable batteries really are a boon.

I use an Oregon at the moment and it can be a bit fernickety in the rain because of the touch screen. I also have a 60csx (the predecessor of the 64s) that is still going strong and is actually a better bit of kit than the Oregon, so I'd recommend the GPSmap 64S. Smaller screen tho. I hear good things about Etrex too, but never had one.

Last edited:

jiberjaber

Veteran
I don't think the number of routes/tracks is a limitation on modern Garmins. According to this site, you can save up to 2000 GPX files on modern devices. https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={0b02f820-03db-11e0-e050-000000000000}

older Garmin's had a very annoying limitation of 500 points per track, but contemporary one's do 10000 points per track, so there's no issue there.

there are different philosophies in using Garmins. i try to keep it as simple as possible and don't care about turn by turn directions. I basically use it like ma digital map, have the track shown on the map and follow it visually.

If you want turn by turn directions, the cycling specific devices are your best bet. but from my point of view, they have several downsides: Primarily the build-in battery and the relativly small screen. moreover, I have met gazillions of riders having issues with the turn by turn functionality.

Whilst they don't have the restriction, if you have too many points, if you allow it to try and recalculate should you go off course, then it can take a long time, sometimes necessitating a reset of the device. This is Garmin Edge 1000 - I am not sure there is a Garmin out there which isn't without some sort of oddity you need to be aware off in order to use them successfully, we're all their beta testers! LOL

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I've been using an Etrex for touring and audaxing for a number of years. If you are happy that you won't be changing the routes too much then it is very simple to just upload the GPX track and follow the purple line all day. I have Openfietsmap versions of the OSM mapping on my Etrex, and have also used the Talky toaster ones (not sure if these are UK only).

My GPS did also do a decent job of routing by just picking the end location when I was riding round the Highlands last autumn (we completely changed plans half way), but there isn't really a lot of navigating to do in the Hebrides and Lochalsh.

PK99

Legendary Member
Another vote for the AA driven multi purpose jobs. Replaceable batteries really are a boon.

I use an Oregon at the moment and it can be a bit fernickety in the rain because of the touch screen. I also have a 76S (the predecessor of the 64s) that is still going strong and is actually a better bit of kit than the Oregon, so I'd recommend the GPSmap 64S. Smaller screen tho. I hear good things about Etrex too, but never had one.

rechargeable backup battery pack (as per mobile phones) works just as well for Garmin 800 and Tourer

Top Bottom