Garmin privacy Settings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a Garmin 200, and I want to change my privacy setting so that when i leave home I can start the Garmin but not show where I actually live
Do you use Strava? If so, you can set the privacy settings on the website/app

Not sure if you can do the same with garmin select, a quick Google seems to suggest not

Otherwise you can make your rides private

U

User33236

Yep no privacy zone option on Garmin site.

I set all mine to private as default and let them sync to Strava where I have privacy zones set. Don't foget to set privacy zones for friend etc you may go on rides with. You don't want to be giving away their home location either :laugh:

Steady

Über Member
As above no privacy zone with Garmin.

Either do it manually by starting and saving on the device a few streets away or make it completely private on Garmin, downsides to that is you won't be entered into Garmin segments. No big deal in my mind as Strava is better for that.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have the 200 and was told it is not possible and that it is therefor possible for others to find out where your nice shiny bike resides.
Just switch it on 400 mtrs from home.

Don't foget to set privacy zones for friend etc you may go on rides with. You don't want to be giving away their home location either :laugh:
I'm not sure how you friends' privacy compromised by their home appearing on one of your rides. That there is a house there is a matter of public record, and the fact they were once visited by a cyclist doesn't seem that invasive. Unless you title your ride "A visit to Jeremy to look at his valuable and poorly protected collections of early stamps and rare French wines"

U

User33236

I'm not sure how you friends' privacy compromised by their home appearing on one of your rides. That there is a house there is a matter of public record, and the fact they were once visited by a cyclist doesn't seem that invasive. Unless you title your ride "A visit to Jeremy to look at his valuable and poorly protected collections of early stamps and rare French wines"
The reason I suggest this is that Mrs SG and several of her Ironman training buddies use each other's homes as starting and end points for rides and sometimes drive there, especially on the really long days.

You then end up with a number of riders showing as starting and returning to the same point on Strava which is within your own privacy zone.

I know others than do similar so is something that should be considered. I, for example, have set up a zone round ny son's home for when I go on rides with him.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Start your ride away from home, and finish it similarly.
On Strava, you can add as many privacy zones as you want. If you use your own poscode, anyone who wishes can work out that you are in the exact centre of the circle. Find the poscodes for several local streets and your privacy zone can be much more private.

Ian193

Über Member
Another tip is don't list the make/model of your bike on the Strava gear section I called mine " new October 2015" I know what it is but no one else will

siadwell

Guru
Start your ride away from home, and finish it similarly.
On Strava, you can add as many privacy zones as you want. If you use your own poscode, anyone who wishes can work out that you are in the exact centre of the circle. Find the poscodes for several local streets and your privacy zone can be much more private.

I was looking at Strava privacy settings last night and they seem to have improved the privacy zone functionality.
It used to be that it would create a zone of up to 100 metres (IIRC) around the specified location, and if you tried to set up multiple overlapping zones, it would show them all to the creator but ignore all but the last one created when applying them for other users.
Anyway, now you can specify a zone of radius up to 5/8 mile, which achieves the same effect as multiple overlapping zones for me.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Thanks for the info, I'll check that out.
Whatever the size of the privacy zone, you will be in the centre of it though. Maybe best to use a postcode nearby, not your own.

Top Bottom