Gear cable snapped while out riding,but not too bad an experience

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As i'd only just set off so i was only about 200 yards from home. It was my own fault in a way,because i had it in too high a gear,or is it too low? Anyway,i was in a grinding gear as i call it ,meaning there was probably too much strain on the cable and seeing as i was going up a steep hill it was likely to happen. I rode down to my LBS and asked him how much for him to fit a new one. I won't tell you how much as i'd like a few guesses before i answer. Let's just say it took him about 20 minutes as he said he hadn't seen that type before (Sram Rival double tap). He persevered and did the job. I went on to do 27 miles and it was fine. Just thought i'd share my unlucky,but also lucky experience with you!
So go on then,how much for a new cable and for him to fit it for me?

Edit...I've done around 5000 miles on the bike. Do you think 5000 miles is a fair life for a gear cable?

snorri

Legendary Member
Depends, did you claim pensioners rates?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
£10

OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Alright,i'm going to tell you. He fitted a new one for £4.50. Why £4.50 and not a fiver i don't know,but i couldn't hand over a fiver and keep my hand there waiting for 50p change. Damn, it! If only i'd had the right amount i could've saved myself 50 pence there!:sad:

Only joking!:okay: That's not bad is it! Seeing as he'd never fitted one on a Sram Rival shifter before. I have a funny feeling someone's going to come along shortly and tell me there isn't a difference in fitting cables on any shifter.:rolleyes:

Alan O

Über Member
Alright,i'm going to tell you. He fitted a new one for £4.50. Why £4.50 and not a fiver i don't know,but i couldn't hand over a fiver and keep my hand there waiting for 50p change. Damn, it! If only i'd had the right amount i could've saved myself 50 pence there!:sad:
You think 50p isn't worth waiting for?! I spend time in countries where 50p can be an hour's pay!

I always insist on getting my penny back when the price is £x.99, and I took it up with a KFC wallah once... I ordered something price at £3.99 and he said "£4 please". I gave him my £4, he took 1p out of the till, and just placed it on the counter on his side and out of my reach. He did not get away with it!

Additional: Last time I counted up my penny jar and cashed it in, I had nearly £15. You wouldn't leave £15 in change at a shop, would you?

Last edited:
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You think 50p isn't worth waiting for?! I spend time in countries where 50p can be an hour's pay!

I always insist on getting my penny back when the price is £x.99, and I took it up with a KFC wallah once... I ordered something price at £3.99 and he said "£4 please". I gave him my £4, he took 1p out of the till, and just placed it on the counter on his side and out of my reach. He did not get away with it!

Additional: Last time I counted up my penny jar and cashed it in, I had nearly £15. You wouldn't leave £15 in change at a shop, would you?
Oh i've bought stuff and the shop assistant's said "I've no change i'll have to owe you a penny". Now if they'd said "CAN i owe you a penny?",that'd be better but it's when they say "I WILL OWE YOU,not CAN i owe you that i feel cheated a little. Anyway,back on track!

Alan O

Über Member
Oh i've bought stuff and the shop assistant's said "I've no change i'll have to owe you a penny". Now if they'd said "CAN i owe you a penny?",that'd be better but it's when they say "I WILL OWE YOU,not CAN i owe you that i feel cheated a little. Anyway,back on track!
Oh, I don't mind that sometimes if they genuinely don't have it - and in local shops where I'm regular, they often give me 2p instead. Maybe the KFC guy warned them about me:rolleyes:

Top Bottom