Gear cable snapped while out riding,but not too bad an experience

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As i'd only just set off so i was only about 200 yards from home. It was my own fault in a way,because i had it in too high a gear,or is it too low? Anyway,i was in a grinding gear as i call it ,meaning there was probably too much strain on the cable and seeing as i was going up a steep hill it was likely to happen. I rode down to my LBS and asked him how much for him to fit a new one. I won't tell you how much as i'd like a few guesses before i answer. Let's just say it took him about 20 minutes as he said he hadn't seen that type before (Sram Rival double tap). He persevered and did the job. I went on to do 27 miles and it was fine. Just thought i'd share my unlucky,but also lucky experience with you!
So go on then,how much for a new cable and for him to fit it for me?

Edit...I've done around 5000 miles on the bike. Do you think 5000 miles is a fair life for a gear cable?

snorri

Legendary Member
Depends, did you claim pensioners rates?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
£10

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Alright,i'm going to tell you. He fitted a new one for £4.50. Why £4.50 and not a fiver i don't know,but i couldn't hand over a fiver and keep my hand there waiting for 50p change. Damn, it! If only i'd had the right amount i could've saved myself 50 pence there!:sad:

Only joking!:okay: That's not bad is it! Seeing as he'd never fitted one on a Sram Rival shifter before. I have a funny feeling someone's going to come along shortly and tell me there isn't a difference in fitting cables on any shifter.:rolleyes:

Alan O

Über Member
Alright,i'm going to tell you. He fitted a new one for £4.50. Why £4.50 and not a fiver i don't know,but i couldn't hand over a fiver and keep my hand there waiting for 50p change. Damn, it! If only i'd had the right amount i could've saved myself 50 pence there!:sad:
You think 50p isn't worth waiting for?! I spend time in countries where 50p can be an hour's pay!

I always insist on getting my penny back when the price is £x.99, and I took it up with a KFC wallah once... I ordered something price at £3.99 and he said "£4 please". I gave him my £4, he took 1p out of the till, and just placed it on the counter on his side and out of my reach. He did not get away with it!

Additional: Last time I counted up my penny jar and cashed it in, I had nearly £15. You wouldn't leave £15 in change at a shop, would you?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You think 50p isn't worth waiting for?! I spend time in countries where 50p can be an hour's pay!

I always insist on getting my penny back when the price is £x.99, and I took it up with a KFC wallah once... I ordered something price at £3.99 and he said "£4 please". I gave him my £4, he took 1p out of the till, and just placed it on the counter on his side and out of my reach. He did not get away with it!

Additional: Last time I counted up my penny jar and cashed it in, I had nearly £15. You wouldn't leave £15 in change at a shop, would you?
Oh i've bought stuff and the shop assistant's said "I've no change i'll have to owe you a penny". Now if they'd said "CAN i owe you a penny?",that'd be better but it's when they say "I WILL OWE YOU,not CAN i owe you that i feel cheated a little. Anyway,back on track!

Alan O

Über Member
Oh i've bought stuff and the shop assistant's said "I've no change i'll have to owe you a penny". Now if they'd said "CAN i owe you a penny?",that'd be better but it's when they say "I WILL OWE YOU,not CAN i owe you that i feel cheated a little. Anyway,back on track!
Oh, I don't mind that sometimes if they genuinely don't have it - and in local shops where I'm regular, they often give me 2p instead. Maybe the KFC guy warned them about me:rolleyes:

Top Bottom