Getting a whiff of weed from passing cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

It's quite sad that people find it necessary to go around reporting people but each to their own I guess,
What a very strange statement, if you got knocked off your bike would you just get back up assuming you could & continue your ride, or would you report the offender, if you saw a car hit a pedestrian & continue driving, would you just shrug your shoulders & carry in riding/walking?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
no idea what it smells like to start with

Its one of those smells. When you do smell it you know.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A bit like hops IMO.

Maybe "Hemp beer" should be a thing...

I can't believe people don't know what it smells like. I've never smoked or done drugs, but the smell is very distinctive. Hops crossed with stewed cabbage - it literally stinks. Even if you aren't smoking it at the time, the smell lingers on people, and it certainly doesn't smell like ciggies. Having to deal with a colleague who kept popping out for a fag break, but they weren't ciggies - you could hardly hide the fact he was smoking weed by the smell in the office when he came back in.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Back in the 'day' the kids who didn't want to be caught out by the smell - smoked Marlborough Cigarettes, as that had a similar smell 'allegedly'

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I can't believe people don't know what it smells like. I've never smoked or done drugs, but the smell is very distinctive. Hops crossed with stewed cabbage - it literally stinks. Even if you aren't smoking it at the time, the smell lingers on people, and it certainly doesn't smell like ciggies. Having to deal with a colleague who kept popping out for a fag break, but they weren't ciggies - you could hardly hide the fact he was smoking weed by the smell in the office when he came back in.

Depends if you are Billy no mates ,never smoked,gone pub etc.
Sure I have had odd smells from cars but couldn't say for certain what it was

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends if you are Billy no mates ,never smoked,gone pub etc.

Sure I have had odd smells from cars but couldn't say for certain what it was

You'll smell it just cycling or walking. You'll know. If someone is holding a wrinkled looking ciggy, and it smells weird and strong, that's weed. Think of very pongy boiled cabbage on steroids.

It's not something that was that obviously smoked in pubs (when smoking was allowed) - your usual high street is where you'll smell it.

It really is surprising how much is smoked by people commuting in cars. All sorts of cars, from builder's vans, executive cars, nobbers in modified cars, and your family run MPV or SUV- obviously commuting at silly hours you'll not see many cars. Monday mornings and Friday afternoons were the main days.

My current commute is off road, so it's usually someone walking that's smoking it, or a haze drifting out of houses that back onto the Fallowfield Loop.

Alex321

Veteran
Good for you.

I assume you abstain from alcohol, caffeine and all other intoxicants?

Why assume that because somebody abstains from an illegal product, that means they will also abstain from perfectly legal ones?

I did once try weed in college (1979 or '80), but since I didn't normally smoke, it just made me cough so much I didn't notice any other effect. I've never tried it again, but that is nothing to do with any intoxicating effects.

I do drink alcohol (in moderation), and caffeine containing drinks, but rarely enough of either to feel any intoxicating effects - which is just personal choice.

I will admit, I'm with a couple of the others here, in that I wouldn't even be sure what it smells like.

Alex321

Veteran
What a very strange statement, if you got knocked off your bike would you just get back up assuming you could & continue your ride, or would you report the offender, if you saw a car hit a pedestrian & continue driving, would you just shrug your shoulders & carry in riding/walking?

There is a difference between reporting something which has clearly and obviously caused immediate harm or direct danger to another, and reporting things which, while illegal are not necessarily harmful - though I do think being high while driving is almost certainly just as bad as being drunk in terms of danger.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I do think being high while driving is almost certainly just as bad as being drunk in terms of danger.

See the link I posted upthread - this seems not to be the case. I'm absolutely NOT advocating it as sensible or advisable, I hasten to add!

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Good for you.

I assume you abstain from alcohol, caffeine and all other intoxicants?

If a person decides to abstain from a particular "intoxicant" or recreational drug, must it be assumed they should/would abstain from all?

I like a good drink (of various alcoholic beverages), but, I don't smoke tobacco or weed, it is called personal choice.

No, but as stated how does armyjim know it's the driver that's smoking?

You genuinely see the 2 examples you've given as the same?

What a very strange comparison.

Top Bottom