Getting a whiff of weed from passing cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It isn't so much a case of alcohol being legalised, as it never having been made illegal (in the UK).

I'm pretty sure that if neither alcohol or tobacco had been in use for hundreds (or even thousands) of years, and were developed now, they would not be legalised.

But making something illegal when it has been in legal use for so long, and enjoyed by so many just isn't going to happen. They did try it of course, in the USA, with pretty disastrous results.

And of course, marijuana use is being legalised in more and more places over time.

But although I can see why you might have read it that way, I don't think it was intended to be a holier than though attitude from the post you responded to either.

I'm in a very similar position to the poster you responded to there. I have tried it once, and am unlikely to ever try it again. Not because I am against the use of it, but because the main way of using it is by smoking, and I loathe smoking. I know there are other ways of taking it, but those are relatively uncommon in recreational use.

More people eat it than you'd think, in Fudge, 'space cake' and the like, one notable being 'Holy Ghee' where it is boiled in butter as part of the clarification process. One snag with eating it is it is far more potent and once you have consumed it there's no going back unlike a 'J' where you can think "I'm getting a bit wrecked here, I think I'll stop" once you've eaten some it will do what it is going to do so dosage becomes critical. Good news is it ain't like harder drugs in that a often fatal overdose of those is quite easy to take a person would need to consume several pounds in order for it to seriously harm them but it can be quite distressing, imagine necking a bottle of Vodka in ten minutes then waiting for something to happen as opposed to drinking a bit, then a bit more until you have had enough.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Worst case scenario is you white out and/or become very 🤮 Apparently taking some CBD oil can counteract the effect of a high that is going very badly. The same cannot be said with alcohol where the options are acute poisoning, stomach pumping (I would guess that inducing vomiting might not be a good thing)

Alex321

Veteran
I agree, to go to Glastonbuy its £285ish for the ticket, then coach travel would be £100 on top of that. Plus you would have to buy a tent and sleeping bag if you didnt already have them. Then theres food and drink which is totally exhorbitant. It would work out well over £500 for the weekend for 1 person easily.

One thing that did surprise me at Green Man is that the food there isn't all that exorbitant. Most of the food outlets, you could get a pretty solid meal for £10-12. Not exactly cheap, but not much more than you would pay at you local takeaway.

Drink was rather expensive, at £6 for a pint of beer (though that was from a large range of gravity fed cask beers).

Not all festivals are expensive you know, I go to one regularly which costs about £55 for 3 days and a day ticket is about £25.

The point I'm making is that you hardly have to live a 'wild ' life to have sniffed a bit of weed somewhere.

If people haven't then so be it but it does surprise me.

You can't ride down a towpath around here without smelling it.
The odds are I have smelled it.

The point I was making is that I'm not sure. Unless you are around people you know are smoking it (or smoking it yourself), you won't necessarily have ever positively identified the smell of it.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Equally impaired though the latter is much reduced after last century’s campaign. Ought to be a campaign making drug driving socially unacceptable.

That seems to be the key - making something socially unacceptable is far more powerful than the (remote) risk of being punished, and yet we always hear the call for stiffer punishments.

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I agree, to go to Glastonbuy its £285ish for the ticket, then coach travel would be £100 on top of that. Plus you would have to buy a tent and sleeping bag if you didnt already have them. Then theres food and drink which is totally exhorbitant. It would work out well over £500 for the weekend for 1 person easily.

Last time I went it was £22

presta

Guru
no idea what it smells like to start with
Me either. I've led a sheltered life!
Not just me then.^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Smelt weed twice within half a mile of home, one wafting from someone's house and one from someone walking to work - which at least they aren't driving, but considering they were heading towards the local industrial estate, and a possibility of working with machinery... :whistle:

No other instances !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Smelt weed twice within half a mile of home, one wafting from someone's house and one from someone walking to work - which at least they aren't driving, but considering they were heading towards the local industrial estate, and a possibility of working with machinery... :whistle:

No other instances !

I must say I didn't realise at one point, what all the 'CO2' canisters were littering the streets near Uni - one of the younger lads laughed. Someone's getting lots of punctures or it's something else.

They have progressed to very large canisters now though !

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I must say I didn't realise at one point, what all the 'CO2' canisters were littering the streets near Uni - one of the younger lads laughed. Someone's getting lots of punctures or it's something else.

They have progressed to very large canisters now though !

Yep seen a few of the 'big uns' round here lately.

One thing puzzles me though, I've heard Nitrous Oxide referred to as 'Hippy Crack' but I've yet to see a hippy driving a hot hatch (well tepid anyway) with big 'Carlos Fandango' wheels and an exhaust like a drainpipe...........maybe I've been smoking too much.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The whole of Swindon stinks of dope. The police are purely reactive and you only see them on the way to the site of the latest stabbing.

Top Bottom