Getting a whiff of weed from passing cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
If a person decides to abstain from a particular "intoxicant" or recreational drug, must it be assumed they should/would abstain from all?

I like a good drink (of various alcoholic beverages), but, I don't smoke tobacco or weed, it is called personal choice.

Assumption wasn't my intent. More a reaction to what I saw as a bit of a holier than thou attitude in the post I was responding to.

Maybe I misread it, maybe I didn't. But the judgement of weed in general has always baffled me, when alcohol in particular is even more damaging, despite having been monetised legalised.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Assumption wasn't my intent. More a reaction to what I saw as a bit of a holier than thou attitude in the post I was responding to.

Maybe I misread it, maybe I didn't. But the judgement of weed in general has always baffled me, when alcohol in particular is even more damaging, despite having been monetised legalised.

Understood, but, you did actually use the word "assume", so, an easy mistake to make.

IMHO, the jury is still out on the "damaging effects".

My solution would be to legalise the lot, make the public aware of the facts and let them get on with it. Oh, of course, levy a few taxes as well ;)

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I once had to take someone to hospital and I dropped them off at 7am and just as I left the hospital a big white van went passed and everyone in it must have been smoking weed.
The thing that got me was it was it was 7 am?

Kingfisher101

Über Member

Many people do steal and commit crime for weed as they do for all other drugs and alcohol, and it can affect a persons mental health if they are succeptable to mental health problems. Also theres a lot of crime including violence involved with the dealing and production of it and modern slavery etc.
People can do what they want I'm not bothered generally but everyone needs to be straight whilst driving.
I personally also think the whole lot should be legalized and sold in shops reasonably, then it will cut out all the dealing and associated crime.

Alex321

Veteran
Does this best describe yourself then?

I assume you've never been to a music festival of any sort either then?

I've been to Green Man twice in the last 3 times it has been on, and while I imagine there was some being smoked, there were so many varying smells around different parts of the site, I certainly wouldn't be sure of it.

Some of us have had so little exposure that we really don't know what it smells like. People upthread saying it is like concentrated boiled cabbage isn't helping much, since I can't recall ever smelling anything I would describe that way either on the street or at a music festival.

Alex321

Veteran

It isn't so much a case of alcohol being legalised, as it never having been made illegal (in the UK).

I'm pretty sure that if neither alcohol or tobacco had been in use for hundreds (or even thousands) of years, and were developed now, they would not be legalised.

But making something illegal when it has been in legal use for so long, and enjoyed by so many just isn't going to happen. They did try it of course, in the USA, with pretty disastrous results.

And of course, marijuana use is being legalised in more and more places over time.

But although I can see why you might have read it that way, I don't think it was intended to be a holier than though attitude from the post you responded to either.

I'm in a very similar position to the poster you responded to there. I have tried it once, and am unlikely to ever try it again. Not because I am against the use of it, but because the main way of using it is by smoking, and I loathe smoking. I know there are other ways of taking it, but those are relatively uncommon in recreational use.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I once had to take someone to hospital and I dropped them off at 7am and just as I left the hospital a big white van went passed and everyone in it must have been smoking weed.
The thing that got me was it was it was 7 am?

Had they been on a night shift and were on their way home ?

tom73

Guru
@fossyant is right everyone will have smelt it but not known what it was. it's pretty much part of life for many and all type of drivers look to be happy getting behind the wheel high on the stuff.
As for enforcement it's not as clear as some see it. Yes chance is you won't get found out as we've not enough police. But that's only part of it. Drug driving is same as drink driving road side test kits for drugs have been been around a few years now and are used. But as with drink you're held under suspicion . Now come's the hard part drink has a set limit easy to work out and test. Via Intoxilyzer in custody depending on result followed by blood test. Only the latter needs a HCP.
Drug testing however is complex once in custody a sobriety test is carried out depending on result followed by blood test.
Now the big problem as the law is at moment only a FME can do them. So often that's a long wait as they are very few at a given time so wait maybe hours and they may come round in the mean time. Given it's as newish law some plank did a home goal missing of custody / forensic nurse off the list. Currently a campaign is on to change it given they do every other test expect gunshot test (though thats being looked at for change). So unless funding and law changers are in place for HCP's and extra call capacity more police will only get to even more legal deadens.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Does this best describe yourself then?

I assume you've never been to a music festival of any sort either then?

nope, never had the spare cash to do anything like that.

Alex321

Veteran
Jeez, you must have had it rough.

Music festivals can be expensive!

I've been to Green Man twice, but wouldn't dream of spending that much for a weekend's entertainment - I only went because the Morris side I dance with were performing as field entertainment, so we got free tickets. Not sure how much the tickets were last year, but in 2019 they were around £200.

Kingfisher101

Über Member

I've been to Green Man twice, but wouldn't dream of spending that much for a weekend's entertainment - I only went because the Morris side I dance with were performing as field entertainment, so we got free tickets. Not sure how much the tickets were last year, but in 2019 they were around £200.

I agree, to go to Glastonbuy its £285ish for the ticket, then coach travel would be £100 on top of that. Plus you would have to buy a tent and sleeping bag if you didnt already have them. Then theres food and drink which is totally exhorbitant. It would work out well over £500 for the weekend for 1 person easily.

Not all festivals are expensive you know, I go to one regularly which costs about £55 for 3 days and a day ticket is about £25.

The point I'm making is that you hardly have to live a 'wild ' life to have sniffed a bit of weed somewhere.

If people haven't then so be it but it does surprise me.

You can't ride down a towpath around here without smelling it.

D

Deleted member 26715

If people haven't then so be it but it does surprise me.
You can't ride down a towpath around here without smelling it.

Agreed, you can't walk through any town without smelling the rancid smell, maybe people do they just don't recognise what it it, or maybe what I'm smelling isn't what I think it is.

Top Bottom