Getting to JOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kato

Any advice about getting to John O'Groats from Inverness, please? I will be running JOGLE ( I know...runner on a cycists forum....you have no idea how little info there is re this on my runners' forum, so am turnng to you guys for your experience!).....so will not be able to cycle any of it..sorry to state the obvious. Is there any public transport?
Kate

Brains

Legendary Member
http://www.johnogroatsbiketransport.co.uk/
This is the company that many use.

Also be aware given that you are in Torquay, that you can get a 'Cross Country' train that runs from Newquay to Aberdeen (and vice versa) . It's Britain's longest train journey, My Mum did it a few years back.

OP
OP
K

Kato

Ha! Thanks! Does sound like a very long journey.My daughter is in Edinburgh and came home for Xmas by train... has promised herself that she will never do that again.. the train, that is, not the coming home home bit....! There are good flights from Exeter to Edinurgh and in fact a connection to Wick - more expensive, but saves an overnight in Inverness and a 4 hour train to Wick from there, so my do that. I have found a local bus that runs from Wick to JOG so that may do the job.

OP
OP
K

Kato

Thank you - yes, I had found the bus timetable from Wick, since I posted the enquiry, but not the one from Thurso - so will look at that one too. Am sorted now, I think.

young Ed

Veteran
sorry i'm no help here but am interested as a hiker as to how many miles you can cover in a days running?
Cheers Ed

compo

Veteran
Inverness to JOG, easy. There is a bus runs from Inverness direct to JOG. You have to change, but the connection wont go until the bus up from Inverness arrives. It is also worth booking in advance as they take fares on demand but pre booked people have priority. This is a summer service through to JOG, I cannot say if it runs in the winter. As an aside, it is a beautiful journey. I have used the service a number of times.

spen666

Legendary Member
Inverness to JOG, easy. There is a bus runs from Inverness direct to JOG. You have to change, but the connection wont go until the bus up from Inverness arrives. It is also worth booking in advance as they take fares on demand but pre booked people have priority. This is a summer service through to JOG, I cannot say if it runs in the winter. As an aside, it is a beautiful journey. I have used the service a number of times.

I'm confused where do you have to change and why if the bus service is DIRECT from Inverness to JoG

OP
OP
K

Kato

Hi, thanks for the advice about the bus from Inverness - I will look at that. I am a bit confused, too - if it is direct from Inverness, where is the change?

Hi Ed. Running I will only be aiming to cover the same as you would hiking, probably - 20 or so - because I am a bit of an oldie at 57! I have some books and blogs of others who have done this, running, and one pair ran 30 miles a day. There is an annual challenge when they cover the whole distance in 16 days...way beyond my capability! I find with my running that the recovery once I go much over 20 is very different, so I don't feel I can aim for more than this - 6 days each week - especially as I will be doing this without support for most of the way. Just hoping it doesn't all end in tears after the first week, tbh!! Have you done JOGLE as a hiker?

compo

Veteran
The bus you want from Inverness is the Orkney Bus that goes to the ferry in JOG. I guess being pedantic because you have to get off one bus then walk a few paces to get on another one it isn't strictly a direct route but it's as near as makes no difference. I have used the service a few times and think it the best part of the journey. Unfortunately it only runs between June and the end of August.

http://www.jogferry.co.uk/Express-Bus.aspx

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kato

OK so much for your help. I think the bus from Wick runs on into the autumn, but will check again - here's hoping! I can get a flight/train to Wick. Don't fancy paying for a taxi from Wick! Nor do I want to run those 17 mile twice....

OP
OP
K

Kato

Thanks for the info!
Just seen one of my previous replies - to Compo - missed out a word, should have read "Thanks so much for your help"....how rude does my other reply sound????!!!! I am so sorry! Typing and technology...never my strong points...

compo

Veteran
Thanks for the info!
Just seen one of my previous replies - to Compo - missed out a word, should have read "Thanks so much for your help"....how rude does my other reply sound????!!!! I am so sorry! Typing and technology...never my strong points...

I guessed it was a simple typo. No apology needed.

Top Bottom