Getting to JOG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

Kato

Thanks Snorri - will look at this - 3.5 hours does indeed seem good, and better than the train + bus optiions - thank you!
Kate

OP
OP
K

Kato

Thanks User30090, definitely do NOT want to run an extra day in the wrong direction, especially with the comments about it being pretty miserable! Public transport I reckon. Thanks for the good wishes. Have had a brilliant response on this forum - am so impressed and grateful! A magic carpet to the start would be nice....
Now have to sort out how little I can get my pack down to - if it's anything like previous long distance walks I have done, things will beregularly jettisoned en route...!

young Ed

Veteran
Hi, thanks for the advice about the bus from Inverness - I will look at that. I am a bit confused, too - if it is direct from Inverness, where is the change?

Hi Ed. Running I will only be aiming to cover the same as you would hiking, probably - 20 or so - because I am a bit of an oldie at 57! I have some books and blogs of others who have done this, running, and one pair ran 30 miles a day. There is an annual challenge when they cover the whole distance in 16 days...way beyond my capability! I find with my running that the recovery once I go much over 20 is very different, so I don't feel I can aim for more than this - 6 days each week - especially as I will be doing this without support for most of the way. Just hoping it doesn't all end in tears after the first week, tbh!! Have you done JOGLE as a hiker?
interesting that :biggrin: and god no have i not done end to end as a hiker most i have done is about 3 or 4 days! only covering 10-12 miles a day due to a slow family that wants lots of breaks (opposite of me)! :sad: i probably could be walking 30-40 miles a day with out too much difficulty :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

snorri

Legendary Member
Hi, thanks for the advice about the bus from Inverness - I will look at that. I am a bit confused, too - if it is direct from Inverness, where is the change?
I don't believe there is a Direct service during the winter. The fasted advertised service at present includes a change of bus at Dunbeath with just 4 minutes between arrival and departure.
It would be advisable to check the Traveline website later in the year before finalising your travelplan, there will be an improved service with more options during the summer months.

OP
OP
K

Kato

Thanks, I will check nearer the time.

Ed - 30-40 miles per day...I bow to you...very impressed, that is way beyond what I could hope for..I walked most of the South West Way once and that took me 4 weeks to do 450 miles! You should come and do an adult TenTors - you would fly it!
Kate

SWSteve

Guru
Thanks, I will check nearer the time.

Ed - 30-40 miles per day...I bow to you...very impressed, that is way beyond what I could hope for..I walked most of the South West Way once and that took me 4 weeks to do 450 miles! You should come and do an adult TenTors - you would fly it!
Kate

They do this for adults? When I did all 3 levels I had to be u18

OP
OP
K

Kato

Well, not as such..people make up their own groups and do what their youngsters did - sometimes with the added comfort of a B+B overnight instead of camping. A few of us have campaigned every year after our teenagers have done it, to have a more formal event organised, but so far failed. It would be pretty amazing though. I doubt the event has changed since you did it..I have been following it for several years now, with my lot, and it is the same every year. It's a fantastic progression through to that 55 miler, and a huge achievement to have done it. Not sure I could!! In fact, I am sure I couldn't.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Any advice about getting to John O'Groats from Inverness, please? I will be running JOGLE ( I know...runner on a cycists forum....you have no idea how little info there is re this on my runners' forum, so am turnng to you guys for your experience!).....so will not be able to cycle any of it..sorry to state the obvious. Is there any public transport?
Kate
Wait...what...you're running jogle?

Will you write it up on a blog of some sort, that's something I would be interested in reading.

I've only ever gone the other way so can't really offer anything but best wishes.

Top Bottom