Giant contend SL1 disc vs Ribble endurance sl disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

That’s the plan!

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

I think I’ve finally settled on the Giant. The Ribble AL or SL would’ve been a contender but there is quite a wait for them. I seriously considered the Planet X free ranger also but ultimately decided against it as I don’t tend to ride off road and therefore think a gravel bike would be “a waste.”

Hopefully it’s the right decision! Thank you everyone for your advice.

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

Another question re the Giant. Does it come set up as tubeless? I’ve read different answers to that question online.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Now torn between a road and gravel bike lol!
Gravel bike with a second pair of tyres or wheels?
Are you going to ride off road?
Exactly this.

I have a relatively cheap bought 2nd hand AL gravel bike and bought a second set of wheels shod with 28mm road tyres. So it gets used as my winter road bike as it takes mudguards, and a quick wheel change, and you're all set for disused railway lines, bridleways and general offroad hooning around. Because its so flexible, I probably end up riding it more than my carbon Bianchi, which just comes out in the summer /dry roads.

A titanium Tempest or carbon Free Ranger from Planet X or Dolan's Alu GXA would get my c£1700.

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

That’s the dilemma. One minute I’m all set for the Giant then the next it’s the Free Ranger. I’m annoyed that the Giant is now £1649 as until very recently it was £1499. The Free Ranger now appears better value for money but I’m slightly concerned as its not a mainstream brand.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The Free Ranger now appears better value for money but I’m slightly concerned as its not a mainstream brand.
They (Planet X, Ribble, Dolan etc) spend less on marketing and sponsorship etc than Giant Specialized Trek etc. and sell direct rather than through a network of dealers taking a cut of the profit, which is why they offer better vfm and you're less aware of them from the mainstream media.

vickster

Legendary Member
You do get a lifetime warranty with the Giant and not from the smaller brands. There’s also a dealer network to support a Giant purchase
I do think the aesthetics of both are meh for different reasons, dull vs super lairy! YMMV
Can jazz the Giant up with some bright accessories or dull down the PX with some duct tape ^_^

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

I need to make a decision either way. I wish there were more reviews of the Free Ranger online. The Giant has been reviewed quite extensively.

vickster

Legendary Member
I need to make a decision either way. I wish there were more reviews of the Free Ranger online. The Giant has been reviewed quite extensively.
Yep because Giant have lots of money to pay for reviews ;)

What's the difference between the two and which will better meet your needs?

I wouldn't focus on the price being higher, it is what it is if you want to buy a bike now

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d choose the PX because I’m a Sram fan but others prefer Shimano
(Actually all hydraulic shifters are fugly and over large for smaller hands)
Which bike can you get sooner?

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

I ride mostly road and have a Giant hybrid (which I plan to sell) hence why I’m drawn back to Giant. The Free Ranger is undoubtedly more versatile and with the recent Giant price increases is better value for money. I plan to use whatever bike I choose year round as I don’t fancy having multiple bikes. Difficult decision.

Top Bottom