Giant contend SL1 disc vs Ribble endurance sl disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do both take full mudguards?
Are you confident on sizing?
Can you try the Giant?

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

Both take mudguards. Shimano 105 vs SRAM force one. Giant can take 32mm tyres and the PX up to 45mm I think.

vickster

Legendary Member
Force is equivalent to Ultegra, lighter than 105 but replacement parts cost more.
Is the gearing correct for you?
Presumably with the PX you can choose bar width, stem, crank length? Unlike an off the peg giant?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I plan to use whatever bike I choose year round as I don’t fancy having multiple bikes.
I find that a really odd statement, have you not heard of n+1? I think i'm at 9, although one is in France and one with my Brother in law, and I have made noises about selling a couple I no longer use...^_^

The black and red Free Ranger looks nice. Not keen on their other colour offerings.
Agree, the orange and brown Is Ok, but its quite a marmite look (would be better with tan wall tyres), the cadbury cream egg paint job is very odd.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Planet X and by extension, On One/Holdsworth/Viner and their other house brands - have a long history of being quality at reasonable money.

At a quick glance the stock tyres on the Contend are not TL ready.

vickster

Legendary Member
Planet X and by extension, On One/Holdsworth/Viner and their other house brands - have a long history of being quality at reasonable money.

At a quick glance the stock tyres on the Contend are not TL ready.
But the wheels are apparently, so can change tyres?
I wouldn’t bother though until the stock tyres are worn

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

My hybrid is a 1x and came tubeless out the box. Shimano 105 appears to be very highly regarded.

vickster

Legendary Member
SRAM is nice, I have 3 bikes each running a variant of it from Apex 1x to Force 2x11. Shimano is nice too but personal preference + compatibility (power meters) wins
Yep I have 4 : Apex, Rival 20, 2 with Rival 22
oh and X5 on my hybrid

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sram, shimano, campag etc, they all change gear, all work well, its just have minor differences in how a change is activated, brake lever, separate lever(s), double tap, electronic etc. Its a bit of personal preference / what you are used to, but you soon get used to "the other one".

I switch between bikes with Ultegra, downtube shifters, bar end shifters, mountain bike shifters, SA trigger shifter and you don't give it a second thought*. It all works and above a quite basic level, it all works very well, and the extra cost is a bit of aesthetics/ a carbon lever here or there / bragging rights at the cafe.

*I find the mountain bikes a bit weird as I rarely ride them, so when I do I feel like my arms are so far apart I'm hugging someone chubby.

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

I guess the PX would be better for the rubbish weather/roads here in Scotland. I need to list the pros and cons of both to reach a decision. I’m without a bike just now as my free hub failed on my 6 month old hybrid and I’m still waiting on the issue being resolved. I can’t tell you how much I miss cycling especially as the weather improves.

Top Bottom