Giant Defy 1 2012 Brake Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MY95

Hi all

Just bought the above bike today, absolute rocket ship compared to my boardman hybrid, looking to upgrade the brakes as the Tektro 540s are really bad, buying new cables but is it worth upgrading to 105 5800 or upgrading the pads? Really stiff and bad brake feel at the moment and very little stopping power front and rear. Any other upgrades people think then let me know?
Spec here: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/defy-1-2012 (8.88kg!)

Cheers!
Matthew

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Had the same tektros on my triban and i upgraded them to Shimano Tiagra R451's - Alternatively you could also upgrade to Ultegra R650's too -- thats if your bike needs long drop brakes.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Cheers for the input! I was thinking 105 5800 as they seem to be tried and tested with great reviews?

Not sure if that would work without having to spend more money as your STi shifters might not have the correct pull ratio. I researched this too back in the day. I even went as far as buying a proper 6800 ultegra brake pair from wiggle but it didnt work as i had long drops and 6800s are medium drop.

I went with the safest option and that was the 451's because somebody asked on evanscycles if it would work with 105 5700 shifters and they said yes...

Totally upto you if you have money to spare and time to waste trying out various brake caliper combinations that might work or not work etc etc. I didnt buy the 650's as they were fairly pricey at the time and I was also under the impression that I might be selling my Triban as well but I still have it.

I can only speak from my own experience -- I fitted the brakes myself and i was more then happy with them. Maybe someone more experienced can chime in and offer more advice then I already have but the bottom line is, its all about correct pull ratio's

OP
OP
M

MY95

Saw that chart before (5700 shifters currently), and also another thread saying both 5700/5800 came after the cable pull ratio was change, so should be fine! Will update the thread once the 105 brakes have arrived and are on! Cheers RoubaixCube again!

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My Giant Defy also came with a Tektro set which I had to change them out after two winters as the rear rusted up and would not open.
Most Shimano sets will be an improvement e.g. Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace.

I now have Ultegra brakes which are superb.

DRM

Guru
These particular tektro's are junk. Different pads wont help that much at all
What he said, actually they aren't junk, they are downright dangerous, I swapped to 105's on my Tiagra specced Giant Defy, it's like comparing night & day, it's a revelation being able to stop, I say go for it you won't be disapointed.

OP
OP
M

MY95

Thanks for all the comments guys! Nice to know ive made the right decision and its not just me that thinks they are really bad! Just bought 105 for the front at the moment!
Any other upgrades people would suggest? Rear tyre is pretty much goosed so any suggestions? Had rubino pros 28mm on my hybrid and made the bike so much faster, at least 50g lighter than the current wire bead PR3s from Giant, what do people think/suggest? Just cant justify £30 a tyre for GP4000s.
Wheels - PR2s which are apparently around 1900g, so no point in upgrading unless taking a few hundred g's off so ive scratched that idea due to cost.
Just tyres and brakes and it should be a pretty quick bike.

DRM

Guru
Thanks for all the comments guys! Nice to know ive made the right decision and its not just me that thinks they are really bad! Just bought 105 for the front at the moment!
Any other upgrades people would suggest? Rear tyre is pretty much goosed so any suggestions? Had rubino pros 28mm on my hybrid and made the bike so much faster, at least 50g lighter than the current wire bead PR3s from Giant, what do people think/suggest? Just cant justify £30 a tyre for GP4000s.
Wheels - PR2s which are apparently around 1900g, so no point in upgrading unless taking a few hundred g's off so ive scratched that idea due to cost.
Just tyres and brakes and it should be a pretty quick bike.
Mine has had the brakes upgraded, Shimano WH501 wheels, as the rear went out of true, and the Shimanos are fractionally lighter, but were on offer for £59 a pair at Planet X, Conti GP4000S tyres, Cinelli gel cork bar tape(comfy), Selle Italia SLS Team edition saddle (comfy) & Look Keo classic clipless pedals, only thing I would suggest is get some miles on it & see what you feel needs improving, & do upgrades in order of importance to you, for example the saddle could be painful on longer rides, so would be a good place to start.

OP
OP
M

MY95

Mine has had the brakes upgraded, Shimano WH501 wheels, as the rear went out of true, and the Shimanos are fractionally lighter, but were on offer for £59 a pair at Planet X, Conti GP4000S tyres, Cinelli gel cork bar tape(comfy), Selle Italia SLS Team edition saddle (comfy) & Look Keo classic clipless pedals, only thing I would suggest is get some miles on it & see what you feel needs improving, & do upgrades in order of importance to you, for example the saddle could be painful on longer rides, so would be a good place to start.

That's exactly the type of reply I was looking for so cheers!

Looked at RS010s but weight saving is very minimal, so wont bother until the wheels neeed changed.

Just need to get the 105 front brake on with all new cables and then i can really pushit and find any weaknesses/upgrades!

Think better tyres are the next step, already got some shimano 540 clip ins so thats sorted. Just getting 105 front brake and all new shimano cables all round and I will get some miles under its belt and see what happens!

vickster

Legendary Member
That's exactly the type of reply I was looking for so cheers!

Looked at RS010s but weight saving is very minimal, so wont bother until the wheels neeed changed.

Just need to get the 105 front brake on with all new cables and then i can really pushit and find any weaknesses/upgrades!

Think better tyres are the next step, already got some shimano 540 clip ins so thats sorted. Just getting 105 front brake and all new shimano cables all round and I will get some miles under its belt and see what happens!
Rubino pro tyres if you like them? £30 a pair in 23 or 25mm
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubino-pro-folding-clincher-tyre

Why not improve the back brake too while you are at it?

The speed of the bike comes from you, as much as if not more so than the parts :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom