Giant Defy 1 2012 Brake Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MY95

Hows things Vickster? Definitely going for a pair of those to replace the current tyres, unless the conti 4000's are on sale.

Adjusted and lubed up the brakes just before and they seem much better, although the ride out shortly will confirm the improvement.

Im pretty fit on the bike, and coming from the hybrid im going so much faster now!

bpsmith

Veteran
I used to have a Defy 1, from about 4 years ago. Tektro make some really good kit, but the particular calipers on the Defy were not a great example of this!

I bought The 105 5800 calipers and the difference was dramatic. Prior to fitting, I used the 105 pads in the Tektro calipers and the braking improved, but nowhere near the level of the 105 calipers. I also tried the 105 calipers with the Tektro pads, to see if there was any substance in the just upgrade the pads suggestions. Braking was better with the 105 calipers and Tektro pads, than the opposite way around, so I don't agree with the pads argument from personal experience tbh.

The Defy is a great bike, in standard form, but was even better with a pair of Zonda wheels and GP4000S tyres.

OP
OP
M

MY95

I used to have a Defy 1, from about 4 years ago. Tektro make some really good kit, but the particular calipers on the Defy were not a great example of this!

I bought The 105 5800 calipers and the difference was dramatic. Prior to fitting, I used the 105 pads in the Tektro calipers and the braking improved, but nowhere near the level of the 105 calipers. I also tried the 105 calipers with the Tektro pads, to see if there was any substance in the just upgrade the pads suggestions. Braking was better with the 105 calipers and Tektro pads, than the opposite way around, so I don't agree with the pads argument from personal experience tbh.

The Defy is a great bike, in standard form, but was even better with a pair of Zonda wheels and GP4000S tyres.

Cheers! Just fitted the front 105 5800 calliper with new brake cable and they are a massive improvement! Fitted new rear brake cable too and the rear tektros have got better but still nowhere near the 105s!

Put on new gear cables and the gears need adjusted as they arent verysmooth, then better rubino pro/gp4000s 23 vs 25mm tyres on next. Then leave as is (upgrading wheels/other parts when they need replacing)

bpsmith

Veteran
I used to run mine with GP4000S tyres. Still got them on my Ridley. They just don't seem to wear! Still fast too.

Top Bottom