Giant TCR carbon seatpost in carbon frame..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My 2016 TCR Advanced 3 has a carbon fibre aero seatpost which has a little wedge device holding it in the carbon fibre frame : -
wedge.jpg

I can unscrew the bolt fine, but the wedge won't come out, and I haven't been able to lift the seatpost out at all. It's stuck fast.

Looking at the design of the wedge I can't see how I might be able to loosen it. I have only ever done it up to recommended torque settings.

Any thoughts/tips ?

sight-pin

Veteran
I wonder if you could form a small enough hook to insert in the hole just enough to catch the edge of the top part of the wedge and pull up with a pair pliers of something. Perhaps a cut down right angled wall picture hook etc.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I had the same issue when i first went to adjust mine, but as Smutchin suggests a few taps on the wedge and / or the seatpost will free it up. I use the plastic handle of a screwdriver. You don't need to be too firm.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's a cunning design, inspired by the old steerers. Same small disadvantage though.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I thought I might have really messed it up by having a little lithium grease on the seatpost but it came free very easily with a very light tap on the bolt. The design seems OK to me now I have been able to free it !

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I hate internal seatpost clamps and I'm not aware of any real advantage to the design other than being able to boost the bike's 'aero' claims - although I can't believe any of us would notice the negligible difference they make to drag.

Top Bottom