Giro 2018 "contains spoilers"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
actually, most of this thread, up until approx. page 45, are about the racing :whistle:

Pure conjecture from back before the race had even started:
I find myself half hoping Froome has to withdraw early - not because I dislike him but because it would allow the discussion to focus on the race itself rather than get distracted by side issues.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm feeling a bit like Pinot after all that punditry. I may check in to a clinic (no, not that one) for some rehydration therapy. I breathe a sigh of relief on the rest days !
Great race but undoubtedly a shadow due to to the unresolved Froome case. Sadly, otherwise it would have been even better.

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 5258625, member: 43827"]How does one get any more anonymised than on an internet forum where we use pseudonyms?[/QUOTE]

Go online via a no-name ISP, use a VPN, procure a service that posts on forums on your behalf.

It’s very simple to do.

That pesky Philippa York has joined in the "opinion, prejudice and bollux":
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features...me-and-trying-to-understand-the-unbelievable/

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It's pretty clear to me that it means a fat lot of nothing. 'Unbelievable' (like 'prepared') is a term that comes with a lot of baggage in the context of cycling, and Kelly is no doubt aware of that, but equally it may just have been a slip of the tongue.

Froome's ride to Bardonecchia bore a superficial resemblance to Floyd's ride to Morzine, there's no question about that, but I want to see some serious number crunching before drawing any conclusions.

I prefer Fotheringham's more measured take on it:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-victory-questions-adverse-analytical-finding

I don't always agree with Fotheringham but I do on this.

Although one interesting fact that he fails to mention is that George Bennett was prevented from riding in the 2015 Giro due to low cortisol levels and that led to his team's withdrawal from the MPCC.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Surely the evidence, such as it is, points to Froome's ride that day being straight.

Dumoulin made the mistake of waiting for someone who descends like his grandma, and Froome's time on the Finestre climb has been bettered several times in the past.

There is a possibility York is a sour and envious ex-pro who is embittered by being an ordinary performer, but mostly by missing out on the big bucks the top riders get these days.

hoopdriver

Guru
Bitterness certainly shone through in that article which amounted to little more than a catty swipe, offering no facts to back up her insinuations Just a smug nudge-and-wink takedown that revealed far more about her than about Froome, Sky, the Giro or the stage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom