Giro 2018 "contains spoilers"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Missing afternoon cycling courtesy Eurosport so much I even went out for a ride. No drugs involved and the 2 beers afterwards were covered by a Thirst Urgent Supplement exemption.

I don't know what to think of that article besides the fact that it's inevitable. I like York but she does see things through the prism of the period she was riding in and in the back of my mind is always her own positive for testosterone, I think riders of her generation find it difficult not to be suspicious, as do we all, I guess.

hoopdriver

Guru
Well if she was going to offer expert opinion and analysis she might have started by breaking down the actual ride and discussing it rather than blowing a lot of smoke about it's being 'unbelievable' - and even there quoting others. She might have discussed the pace Froome made on the various ascents - which were apparently quick but by no means record setting - and his gaining much of his time on those manic descents. Where does that fit in with 'unbelievable' - maybe it does, who knows, but she certainly doesn't address any of these facts about the ride. Nada. She merely repeats the usual insinuations and offers absolutely nothing more - not a thing. The article could have been written by just about anybody on CC or the cricket writer on the Guardian. It is meaningless whichever view you have of Froome/Sky/or the stage

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Well if she was going to offer expert opinion and analysis she might have started by breaking down the actual ride and discussing it rather than blowing a lot of smoke about it's being 'unbelievable' - and even there quoting others. She might have discussed the pace Froome made on the various ascents - which were apparently quick but by no means record setting - and his gaining much of his time on those manic descents. Where does that fit in with 'unbelievable' - maybe it does, who knows, but she certainly doesn't address any of these facts about the ride. Nada. She merely repeats the usual insinuations and offers absolutely nothing more - not a thing. The article could have been written by just about anybody on CC or the cricket writer on the Guardian. It is meaningless whichever view you have of Froome/Sky/or the stage
Yes, it would be good if Froome's descending were now recognised as being really top notch. When he goes for it, he really goes for it. Add in that Dumoulin appeared to back off the pace when he'd dropped Pinot on the way up the Colle delle Finestre so that he could ride in a group. A group that was to slow his descent and one that was always only going to let him do the bulk of the pacework and leave him on the final climb as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Velon have published selected data from Froome's stage 19 ride. Apparently, he was putting out 397 watts during his attack on the Colle delle Finestre, compared to the 395 watts of Dumoulin, which they published a few days ago...
https://www.velon.cc/en/news/2018/05/why-397-is-chris-froome-s-winning-giro-d-italia-number

That translates to around 5.6w/kg, according to one report I've read, which puts it within the realms of 'believable' performance.

It's far from being the full story but it's an interesting insight.

Reactions: mjr

rich p

ridiculous old lush
To be honest, I've thought for years that Robert Millar and Philippa York both write glib trivial articles with little fact or science to back them up.
Just because you were a decent cyclist doesn't confer a right to insightful analysis...

...see Ian Botham and Alan Shearer for other sports' equivalents

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
So after everything we now know absolutely nothing more about Froome other than he's a ''unbelievable" cyclist.I very much doubt that Kelly using the word unbelievable insinuates Froome cheating ! I read something else earlier with Hinault coming to similar conclusions.Plenty of opinions I'll give them that,thank feck social media wasn't around in their era.......

Top Bottom