Give me some dialogue from your day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
(after doing a few wee jobs at daughter’s house)

“Dad, how do you know how to do all this stuff?”

gbb

Legendary Member
In a conversation with my 13 yo granddaughter, she pointed out how many of the family are Into engineering (working with our hands at least)
'I guess were all influenced by our dads'....'my dad, your grandad was an aircraft engineer....your dad, my son is a gas engineer of course....and your grandads dad, my grandfather was a master carpenter and chief of works in Bristol docks'

I scrolled through my phone to find a photo of a photo of him and my grandmother, taken around 1915, hes In army uniform.

'Was he a soldier ?'
'Yep, he fought in WW1 and was gassed In France'
'Oh, you didnt know him then'
'Oh yeah, he died in the 1980s'
'Oooh, sorry, I thought it meant he died when he was gassed'
'No no, he survived'

She hesitated a moment and said...
'He must have been a legend'
'We're all very lucky nowadays, I can't imagine how they felt as 18 year olds'

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The reverse of this is I once said to someone...if you can't do DIY, you're facing a lot of expense over your lifetime.
I once asked someone why he took his car to a mechanic to get simple jobs done. He told me that he didn't enjoy car maintenance and he got paid twice the hourly rate that a mechanic did so it made sense for him to stick to his own job, and let the mechanic do his!

Lullabelle

Banana
I looked in a full length mirror this afternoon

Me: s**t, I really need to lose some weigh :eek:

gavgav

Guru
As part of today’s training session, I had to stand up, with my hand on my head and shout the Spike Milligan “Ning Nang Nong” poem...........nope, me neither!! Suffice to say I needed this before getting on the train back home.
93782E22-E8D9-4A9B-86A7-EB1DC68A47DB.jpeg

gbb

Legendary Member
A section of a punnet sealing machine locked up today, no amount of force would free it, bearings broken up maybe, servo motor siezed or failed perhaps. This was after I'd spent an hour trying to get a checkweigher on the same packing line to work consistently...a busy morning. Eventually after stripping back the failed part of the machine to its component parts, I got it working.
Emil, line operator looked a bit sheepish...
'I'm sorry I've given you so much work today':blush:
'Nah, no problem. That was interesting, something I havnt seen before, I like that, some proper mechanic'ing'

I never did work out why the machine jammed up :huh:
Later, a supervisor asked..
'What was wrong with it ?'
'Dunno, it's a bit like your car breaks down, you take a load of bits off, put them back on and your car now works....but you still dont know what the problem was ^_^'

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[Explanatory preamble: I went for a blood test this morning before heading off to Lidl to do my shopping. I have to have the tests done regularly to check that I am not over/underdosing on Warfarin. A test used to be done by taking a sample from a vein and sending it to a lab for analysis. Nowadays though there is a handheld machine which can do the test from one drop of blood in about 30 seconds; all very clever. The machine has a barcode reader built in to it. I get an appointment letter with a barcode on it. The nurse scans the code, which identifies me as the patient. If I forget to take the letter, the machine has no barcode to ID me and so I would get the needle in the arm; I don't like being stabbed, so I always remember to take the letter with me and hand it over for scanning as soon as I sit in the chair for the test ...]

Nurse: Good morning, Colin - eveything okay?

ColinJ (handing over letter with barcode on it): Yes, thank you...

Nurse (looking down at cycling shoes): Did you cycle here?

ColinJ: Yes, I always do unless it is raining.

[Quick chat about the Tour de Yorkshire, which started today. Waits for finger to be pricked. Waits longer... Finally...]

ColinJ: Er, is there a problem? :whistle:

Nurse: No - I'm just busy reading your shopping list!

ColinJ: Eh, oh, I, er ... I'm still half asleep! :blush:

[Takes back shopping list and replaces it with appointment letter! :laugh:]

2019_05_12_Eselsburg_09.JPG

While at my interview yesterday (report here) The Xtracycle was parked in the lean-to barn just visible to the right of the mill above, and by the time I went to get my toothbrush et, c it was dark. After I'd found the 'torch' function on my phone three lads from the organisation, ca. 11 years old turned up and pointed out the light switch. Once it was on they noticed the Xtracycle, and the following discussion took place:

Lads: Woah, cool bike
AinG: Thanks.
Lads: (Inspecting Xtracycle): Hey, it's got handlebars, can someone sit on it?
AinG: Sure, my kids ride on it.
Lads: (Practically in Unison): Coooool...
AinG: You want a ride?
(Three faces light up the barn more than the light already has)

The next ten minutes was punctuated by "Woooooooooah!!" as we rode up and down the lane through the village.

Apparently my bike is now officially "Very Cool" and "Feels like an E-bike"

Obviously very well brought up boys of great taste and discernment.

Top Bottom