Glasgow - CMW games road closures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi all!
I am going to post new road closures as I find them out in the Glasgow area, approaching the Commonwealth Games.

The Clyde walkway at Dalmarnock has reopened today, permanently. The new shared use bridge to Shawfield will be operational from the day before the inaugural ceremony.

The SECC shared path tunnel is going to close from Friday July 4th 2014 until August 12th or 15th 2014.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
The full list of TROs is available in incredibly user friendly format from the council:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=12089

Kelvin Way was closed off a few days ago.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

The full list of TROs is available in incredibly user friendly format from the council:

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=12089
Yeah, I saw that. Bit obscure :laugh: especially when at my own briefing nobody knew yet the perimeters of the SECC bikes out of bound zone. Note that there is a Next Bike docking station at the Armadillo :wacko:
The Bells bridge will be closed for sure, we don't know when yet.
Springfield road, leading from Dalmarnock to the Velodrome and to Celtic park is closed.
The Velodrome is starting to get fenced off, we got told to move away on Saturday, while on a heritage ride for the cycling festival.
We also got stopped to enter the Cathkin Braes at the top end, near Carmmurnock, on Sunday.
Basically, when you see the white domes of doom, forget access.
You can still cycle through the back of the SECC car park 7 to the Riverside Museum, but coming the other way, at the helipath, you must stay on the pavement section to continue towards the river.
Kelvin Way was closed off a few days ago.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Updates:
You can still cycle along the river from the Broomielaw to the transport museum.
The back car park of the SECC is fenced off, so no shortcut.
Bells bridge is still open (for now), the Next bike docking station at the Armadillo is still operational but not easy to see.
At first glance the Glasgow Green seems shut at the Arch entrance, but there is a way in through a narrow fenced off path, signposted exit.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Updates:
You can still cycle along the river from the Broomielaw to the transport museum.
The back car park of the SECC is fenced off, so no shortcut.
Bells bridge is still open (for now), the Next bike docking station at the Armadillo is still operational but not easy to see.
At first glance the Glasgow Green seems shut at the Arch entrance, but there is a way in through a narrow fenced off path, signposted exit.

I've looked at the Council notices and can't see any mention of no access for bikes through the SECC shared tunnel path, was that mentioned at your briefing?

GC

discominer

SECC red tunnel closed from 4th July till mid-August (as yet unspecified). Here's an example of nice shared used in the area.
DSCN0891_zps6dd6300e.jpg

format

Über Member
The riverside route is a nightmare - it's very narrow and you can't see anyone coming round the bend. I'll avoiding it.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

I've looked at the Council notices and can't see any mention of no access for bikes through the SECC shared tunnel path, was that mentioned at your briefing?

GC
Tunnel has been closed to all since last week, if you have a CWG accreditation pass you can walk through it at certain times, when it is manned. Otherwise it is locked. Will remain so until the 12/14 of August.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Latest news:
a big barrier complete with mega chain and lock to match has today appeared on the cycle path before the Crown Plaza. Looks like access will be denied shortly.
The next bike docking at the Armadillo seems also to have become unaccessible.
I have to chain my bike on a lamp post near the bus stop, as no bikes allowed in the SECC precinct anymore: if anyone is planning to cycle to the events there they will have to chain their bikes to the railings at the riverfront.
Actually, it looks like all wheeled access will eventually be denied from before the Hilton Garden Hotel, so at the Squinty bridge.
Found out today that Bells bridge and Millennium bridge will only be accessible if you have a pass.
The Glasgow Green this afternoon seemed ready to close completely at the Arch: the riverside bit going towards Dalmarnock is still open, seems it will remain so, but can only be accessed from the blue suspension bridge from the Gorbals.
King street (the one dividing the main Green from the 5 aside bit) will close soon, on the 21st I think.
Just as well I am working at Hampden from the 27th, because to go home after dark I would either have to ride along the unlit river path or ride all the way round to Caledonia road.
Also: Aitkenhead road closed to all traffic soon - from the 23rd or the 27th, need to go back to read the sign.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Latest news:
a big barrier complete with mega chain and lock to match has today appeared on the cycle path before the Crown Plaza. Looks like access will be denied shortly.
The next bike docking at the Armadillo seems also to have become unaccessible.
I have to chain my bike on a lamp post near the bus stop, as no bikes allowed in the SECC precinct anymore: if anyone is planning to cycle to the events there they will have to chain their bikes to the railings at the riverfront.
Actually, it looks like all wheeled access will eventually be denied from before the Hilton Garden Hotel, so at the Squinty bridge.
Found out today that Bells bridge and Millennium bridge will only be accessible if you have a pass.
The Glasgow Green this afternoon seemed ready to close completely at the Arch: the riverside bit going towards Dalmarnock is still open, seems it will remain so, but can only be accessed from the blue suspension bridge from the Gorbals.
King street (the one dividing the main Green from the 5 aside bit) will close soon, on the 21st I think.
Just as well I am working at Hampden from the 27th, because to go home after dark I would either have to ride along the unlit river path or ride all the way round to Caledonia road.
Also: Aitkenhead road closed to all traffic soon - from the 23rd or the 27th, need to go back to read the sign.

Thanks for the updates Pat.

You'd have thought that since they're encouraging people to cycle to these events they'd have put extra cycle parking facilities in place, rather than leave people to chain bikes to fences.

GC

Rasmus

Without a clever title

You'd have thought that since they're encouraging people to cycle to these events they'd have put extra cycle parking facilities in place, rather than leave people to chain bikes to fences.

GC

You are assuming that they are actually encouraging people to cycle, and not just pretending to do so because it looks good on paper.

Slightly OT

I have always noted that when a road is closed, then a diversion is approved and signposted.

Making the same a requirement for a cycle path closure should be mandatory.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

GC
Not so, they are making it really difficult, the exclusion zone from the venues makes one park their bike either about a mile away, or chain it to random lamp posts hoping to find it again at the end of the shift.
On top of that, there seems to be no provisions for staff starting as early as 5am or finishing in the early hours.
Because of the wheel exclusion zone some will have a long walk in the dark.

snorri

Legendary Member
. Here's an example of nice shared used in the area.
If that really is a shared use path, and the signs are for the benefit of road users, then the signs should be on the road and not on the cycle path where they both obstruct cycle traffic and give the impression they are there to instruct cyclists.
Someone needs to be told.

Top Bottom