Glasgow - CMW games road closures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
The BBC is putting a reporter on a bike and riding around Glasgow throughout the games:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28403766

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Someone posted on twitter that the council has reversed their initial decision and will allow bikes in the fastlink lanes. No official notice, though.

The signs for the fastlink route are already in place and show they are restricted to buses only, they show no provision for cycles or taxis. Unless they change these signs before the route opens, you'll have a hard job protesting any ticket.

GC

soulful dog

Veteran
Does anyone know what will happen on the day of the Cycling time trials with roads that are being used for the race?

Do pedestrians and/or cyclists get the chance to cross the roads on the route when there are no competitors nearby? Edit: I can see from the handy map Teuchter posted, that while I know the roads on the route are closed for the entire day of the race, the event time is listed as being 10:00 - 15:30. Will people be barred from crossing the road on foot for that entire time, so I'll just need to go by car and head for the motorway to get to work?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Glasgow Green closed from today, one can still enter from the top, then exit from the blue bridge into the Gorbals. Or exit at the West pub, go round St Andrews.
Finnieston street closed.
Reported 2 Next bikes chained to a lamp post just before the Armadillo barriers: the docking station is now behind the exclusion zone ... what's the point?
Btw, both the The Crown Plaza is inside the perimeters too, only accredited members can use the hotel.
Which is a shame for them who need to pay premium prices for Irn Bru, as no bottles allowed through, like at the airport :laugh:
Asked a police woman today if I could cycle in the games lane, she did not know, but told me "I don't think we could stop you" ^_^
A colleagues father, that resides in Hogganfield, where the road race is going to pass, has received a letter from the council saying residents are not allowed out within a certain time frame, so no crossing the road on foot or in the car either @soulful dog.
Did you not get a similar letter?

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Logged into my FB, had asked Glasgow City Council if I was allowed to cycle on the games lane with my accreditation, the answer is this:
No - Games Lanes are to allow athletes, officials and media to access venues. Accreditation does not give access to the Games Lanes.
Link

Teuchter

Über Member
Reported 2 Next bikes chained to a lamp post just before the Armadillo barriers: the docking station is now behind the exclusion zone ... what's the point?
That is classic.

Glasgow City Council said:
No - Games Lanes are to allow athletes, officials and media to access venues.

The signs for the fastlink route are already in place and show they are restricted to buses only, they show no provision for cycles or taxis. Unless they change these signs before the route opens, you'll have a hard job protesting any ticket.

Loving this. I've decided I'm going Ninja Cyclist :ph34r: for the duration of the games. I pity the fool who tries to stop me! :ninja:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Here's one of the buses only signs viewed from the eastbound carriageway outside the STV studios.

bus_lane.jpg

GC

Teuchter

Über Member
Here's one of the buses only signs viewed from the eastbound carriageway outside the STV studios.

View attachment 51096

GC
I can see that my first cycling ninja assignment is to print off and laminate a few of these and get busy with some cable ties...
cyclelanes.png

soulful dog

Veteran
A colleagues father, that resides in Hogganfield, where the road race is going to pass, has received a letter from the council saying residents are not allowed out within a certain time frame, so no crossing the road on foot or in the car either @soulful dog.
Did you not get a similar letter?
Thanks Pat, and no I didn't get a letter, I don't think I stay close enough to the race route to be lettered. Ah well, car via the motorway it is then. It's going to be fun, all the buses are being diverted off their usual routes onto the M8, plus all the extra cars that'll be forced onto the M8 because there isn't any other way to get into the city centre..... at least I don't start at 9am on the 31st, I'll miss the rush hour, that'll be bedlam!

I know people near the swimming pool in Tollcross have been told their kids aren't allowed out after 6.30pm or something similar during the games.... I'm not quite sure what people expect kids to do in the middle of the summer, during the school holidays cooped up in a house?!

subaqua

What’s the point
welcome to the fun we who live close to QEOP had 2 yrs ago.

BTW one route is still closed nearly 4 years after it was " closed till Jan 2013 "

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Thanks Pat, and no I didn't get a letter, I don't think I stay close enough to the race route to be lettered. Ah well, car via the motorway it is then. It's going to be fun, all the buses are being diverted off their usual routes onto the M8, plus all the extra cars that'll be forced onto the M8 because there isn't any other way to get into the city centre..... at least I don't start at 9am on the 31st, I'll miss the rush hour, that'll be bedlam!

While riding along the route is almost certainly out, I'd be shocked if you will be prevented from crossing the route as a pedestrian wheeling the bike across.

I know people near the swimming pool in Tollcross have been told their kids aren't allowed out after 6.30pm or something similar during the games.... I'm not quite sure what people expect kids to do in the middle of the summer, during the school holidays cooped up in a house?!

Statement from the police regarding this seemingly widespread rumour:
https://www.facebook.com/GreaterGlasgowPoliceDivision/posts/1478684875703029

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Looks like by tomorrow yet another road will be closed for me: King Street, that gets me from the Gorbals to Shawfield.
Better fit my helmet light, as the diversion is :ph34r:

Teuchter

Über Member
Some good news at last - spotted this sign while crossing the Squinty Bridge this morning...

P1000994.JPG

It looks like GCC have bowed to pressure and are officially allowing bicycles (and taxis) to use the new bus lanes.

Top Bottom