Glasgow - CMW games road closures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Abandon all hope if you hope to cycle to the SECC for the Games - unless you also fancy a wee walk.
Nobody could tell me for sure, but it looks like from tomorrow the road, cycle path included, will be blocked from the Squinty bridge.
No cycle parking at all in the vicinity, I'll have to chain mine to the nearest lamp post I am allowed. This early am I had parked at the Crown Plaza, then at finishing time had to walk all the way to the Hilton, then back to get my bike!
A security guard told me why not take the train instead of cycle? :wacko:
Bells bridge now closed.
Better facilities at the Green, they put additional bike racks at the Bridgeton end, plus the Next bike docking station is still operational there.
The Green is almost closed at Saltmarket, but at least they've put a sign near the blue bridge to the Gorbals, so you don't have to cycle all the way just to find out there's no exit.
Mind, Kings street will close from tomorrow too, so how is one supposed to cycle to Rutherglen? Via Caledonia Road? :angry:
Clyde walkway, barriers at the athletes village, can't cycle any further.
At Hampden, nearest bike parking is at the school across Asda (Holyrood?) ... or a lamp post :rolleyes:
Here are a few pictures I took today, note the tonne sandbags at strategic positions :unsure:
IMAG1749 (346x640).jpg IMAG1751 (640x329).jpg IMAG1756 (640x427).jpg IMAG1757 (640x338).jpg IMAG1758 (640x406).jpg IMAG1759 (640x226).jpg IMAG1761 (640x300).jpg IMAG1762 (640x274).jpg

IMAG1769 (640x427).jpg

This sign is actually on the NCN 75!

discominer

"Nobody could tell me for sure" the motto of the Games when it comes to information about how to get to work!

lesley_x

Über Member
FFS I wanted to get to most events by bike to avoid what is sure to be horrendous traffic. But it appears most popular routes have been closed despite the posters encouraging cycling and lack of information also. There is no decent information (if there is please point me in the direction) for the TT and road race routes, so I really can't plan where we are going to go. The maps are completely vague with no street names other than big cartoon pictures of Kelvingrove etc... Frustrating.

Teuchter

Über Member
This interactive map may be a bit clearer than some of the rubbish information that's been published previously by the council. It can be filtered to highlight road or cycle track closures and then clicking on them on the map shows dates.
http://getreadylatmp.glasgow.gov.uk/

I've had to modify my usual route in to avoid both Ibrox (Edmiston Drive) and the Bells Bridge, the SECC route as I work near here just off the Broomielaw. It's take the Squinty Bridge or take the bus for me as far as I can see. Luckily I don't mind riding in traffic but I can see this is going to put off a lot of cyclists as they're being forced onto sharing what is going to be one of the few road routes left open into this part of the city.

The Millennium Bridge and Bells Bridge are both closed today with signs saying "Cycle Route Suspended" and "Cyclists use Clyde Arc".

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Will know after my shift tonight the exact point of no entry in the secc area, they start scanning us today :smile:

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

@Teuchter at least you can take the bus: I am on back shift, finish at 11.30, time I get out is about 11.45, by the time I manage to walk through the diversions the last bus/train has gone.
There is actually a bus terminal at the back of the Secc, but the last bus leaves well before my shift ends, it's really meant as transport for spectators.
Never mind, I'm at Hampden from Sunday, much easier to get to for me.
Thing is, most of the road blocks will be in place for at least a week after the closing ceremony, they have to dismantle the gazebos, take away the barriers.
Expect lots of lorries on the roads after the games.

Teuchter

Über Member
Thing is, most of the road blocks will be in place for at least a week after the closing ceremony, they have to dismantle the gazebos, take away the barriers.
Expect lots of lorries on the roads after the games.
Thanks... this just gets better :sad:

Does anyone know if cyclists are to be allowed to use the segregated bus lanes on Govan Road and the Squinty Bridge once they open? Heard a while back that these were meant to be buses only (no cycling) though this may have changed.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Does anyone know if cyclists are to be allowed to use the segregated bus lanes on Govan Road and the Squinty Bridge once they open? Heard a while back that these were meant to be buses only (no cycling) though this may have changed.
Have asked the question many people many times, nobody knows, not even if us with an accreditation are allowed.
I am planning to cycle anywhere there are no barriers: what can they do, fine us? :laugh:

discominer

It's nice that cyclists can't go in the Games Lanes eh? Pitched off my regular commute along the Clyde onto the road. Hardly how to encourage cycling. Still at least today I could get through Glasgow Green, but they say they'll shut that on Wednesday and then I've no idea- I'll be making it up as I go along (just like the folk behind this!).

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

It's nice that cyclists can't go in the Games Lanes eh? Pitched off my regular commute along the Clyde onto the road. Hardly how to encourage cycling. Still at least today I could get through Glasgow Green, but they say they'll shut that on Wednesday and then I've no idea- I'll be making it up as I go along (just like the folk behind this!).
One way for you would be to exit the Green at the West pub, head toward Gallowgate, follow the diversions to go round the park.
Or enter at the top - King Street - exit at the blue bridge (seems that will stay opened) go round the Gorbals at the leisure centre.

Rasmus

Without a clever title

Someone posted on twitter that the council has reversed their initial decision and will allow bikes in the fastlink lanes. No official notice, though.

format

Über Member
Someone posted on twitter that the council has reversed their initial decision and will allow bikes in the fastlink lanes. No official notice, though.

I posted this on twitter (although not sure if mine is the post you are referring to) but I have a letter from the council saying it's okay to do it.

Top Bottom