Glasgow - CMW games road closures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

format

Über Member
I know people near the swimming pool in Tollcross have been told their kids aren't allowed out after 6.30pm or something similar during the games.... I'm not quite sure what people expect kids to do in the middle of the summer, during the school holidays cooped up in a house?!

NVM

soulful dog

Veteran
While riding along the route is almost certainly out, I'd be shocked if you will be prevented from crossing the route as a pedestrian wheeling the bike across.

Statement from the police regarding this seemingly widespread rumour:

https://www.facebook.com/GreaterGlasgowPoliceDivision/posts/1478684875703029

According to a report in the Evening Times, "No vehicles other than emergency services will be allowed to cross the route and there will be designated pedestrian crossing points."
Cheers guys. I thought the format of the time trial would possibly mean there wouldn't be any crossings during the race time, but that looks promising. Now that I'm aware of that getreadyglasgow.com link I'll try and contact someone from there for confirmation before the day.

I did wonder about those curfew stories, particularly the one for the area surrounding the games village, but I've heard them from so many different people that I thought it must be true!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Does anyone have a picture of the bus-stop adverts saying cycling could be easier during the games?
You mean this one?
IMAG1749 (346x640).jpg

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

That's funny, when you consider they've also done this...

IMG_1135.JPG

This is the shared footpath that lies on NCN 7 between Kinning Park and the SECC. This sign is facing the wrong way as it should be warning cyclists that the route via Bell's Bridge is closed because of the games. This is heading to Kinning Park, away from the closure!

GC

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Some good news at last!
We are allowed to cycle on the roads closed to traffic: I did ask this morning, and indeed about an hour ago I was allowed through Ballater Street and King's Drive (maybe King's road, it's the one at the 5 aside at the small Green), a route you also could take @doddy73 ^_^
All traffic from Achenhead Road (Hampden) has been diverted to Kingspark Avenue, that's one road I will avoid for sure.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

Will you believe it!!!! My Gonzales has been towed away, ended up in Stewarton Police station!
What happened was that I chained my bike at the Clydeside railings this morning at around 10, near police officers, like I've done for the last 3 days.
While I was at work, somebody decided to put signs along the railings "bikes will be removed", I got out at 11.30pm, the bike was away.
Police said it was the Commonwealth security, they decided in the morning that bikes should be parked at the Rotunda.
So why did nobody think about the secc staff already on duty? :cursing:
My HR department had been vaguely saying "you are not allowed to cycle (to work during the games)" for weeks so I got no sympathy from them :angry:
And why did the bike end up at the police station if it was not their doing?
Harumph! After a 12 hour shift I had to take a taxi to the police station to get my bike back, poor baby, he's traumatized now :wub:
Where will I park tomorrow? Meh! xx(

Southside Mike

Just thought I'd mention that on Tuesday and Thursday I came across the Squinty Bridge from the south and after ignoring the signs and barriers headed up Finnieston Street and round onto Stobcross Road. None of the police or stewards seemed to object and when I got round to the front of the Hydro I asked if I could carry on and they seemed perfectly happy. I then headed off down a very empty Stobcross with policemen opening the metal barriers as I approached.

I get the feeling that the people on the ground are aware that the cycling arrangements and signage have been completely messed up and as long as you go through the bits with lots of pedestrians at a sensible speed are happy enough to accomdate cyclists

snorri

Legendary Member
Will you believe it!!!! My Gonzales has been towed away, ended up in Stewarton Police station!
Poor Gonzales:sad:, not just the trauma of being taken to a strange place and detained, but also his concern that he had let you down by not being there to get you home after a hard day at work.
I'm so glad to hear you are reunited now:smile:.

Teuchter

Über Member
My HR department had been vaguely saying "you are not allowed to cycle (to work during the games)"
You need a new HR department.

Glad you got your bike sorted out... that must have been a bloody awful way to end a long shift.

Edit: forgot to ask... I presume this incident cost you a lock?

Teuchter

Über Member
Posting this here while we've got the attention of cyclists in Glasgow. I know this is short notice but I've just found out about it myself after a while of digging on the web following a mention on Radio Scotland. It's a petition for improved cycle infrastructure in Glasgow from @magnatom (of pedal on parliament fame). There's a get together in George Square at 11.15 this morning - think I'll be taking an early lunch break and heading along.

Link to the petition

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Some good news at last!
We are allowed to cycle on the roads closed to traffic: I did ask this morning, and indeed about an hour ago I was allowed through Ballater Street and King's Drive (maybe King's road, it's the one at the 5 aside at the small Green), a route you also could take @doddy73 ^_^
All traffic from Achenhead Road (Hampden) has been diverted to Kingspark Avenue, that's one road I will avoid for sure.

That's good to hear but I would advise that anyone doing this exercise some caution. You've found a sensible cop who used a bit of discretion and allowed you through, other cops may take a different view and apply the restriction or ticket you, so always ask first.

GC

format

Über Member
That's good to hear but I would advise that anyone doing this exercise some caution. You've found a sensible cop who used a bit of discretion and allowed you through, other cops may take a different view and apply the restriction or ticket you, so always ask first.

GC

Private security staff are also renowned for being over-zealous with these sorts of things.

Top Bottom