Go Hard or Go Home - The Bonebreaker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archeress

Veteran
Watching a reasonably good program on Channel 5+1 at the moment called Go Hard or Go Home. A trainer has selected 4 doctors to train for the 127 mile Bonebreaker race in the Pyrenees in just 12 weeks. At the beginning all of the doctors are pretty unfit, the eldest is 65 and one cannot even ride a bike. It's worth a gander. Hopefully it will be available on the Channel 5 website too.

Hugs
Archeress x

I saw most of it. Not sure if it will put more people off setting up cycling to be such a tough thing. Presenter was worth a look though.

OP
OP
Archeress

Archeress

Veteran
I took the programme as a positive outlook for cycling, for me it reinforced the idea than anybody can take up cycling, irrespective of age or ability,
Yeah, I think so too. If someone can learn to ride a bike and cycle up a bloody big mountain then it shows that anyone can ride a bike

Hugs
Archeress x

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I saw most of it. Not sure if it will put more people off setting up cycling to be such a tough thing. Presenter was worth a look though.
She can put her hand at the back of my saddle and give me a push any day :smile:
Seemed to me that the doctors signed up for the show and most of them did not relaize what it would entail , hats off to the eldest gent as he showed that age is not a barrier .The guy who had just learnt to ride seemed to me to be looking for a way out from the start tbh .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The doc who couldn't ride a bike should really have spent more time learning away from open roads - he was a danger to himself and to others, suddenly swerving and falling off all over the place! Credit to him though for managing to get as far as the first summit.

The younger doctor, and (especially) the older one who completed the event in (just) under 12 hours were very impressive after such a short build up!

The female doctor seemed to be intimidated by the whole thing, maybe understandably. She had some self-esteem issues, saying that she 'had' to do it for her daughter. I can see why she wanted to show her daughter that trying hard can yield impressive results, but I wasn't sure why just having a good go at it was not enough? They did the right thing stopping her after her fall - she definitely was not safe to continue!

Watching the programme has convinced me that I am going to try and complete the longer version of my forum ride at the end of March, if at all possible. I had been thinking of trying to get a lift to and from the official start to cut my distance down but if a non-cyclist in his mid-60s can get fit enough in 12 weeks to ride a 127 mile Pyrenean sportive, then I should be able to get fit enough in 10 weeks to tackle 107 miles of undulating Yorkshire and Lancashire roads, especially since I am already fit enough to ride 30 miles or so! :whistle:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
this is exactly what you should take from it, plus you have the advantage of knowing "how to" cycle, if that makes sense...
It makes perfect sense. I think I have been a bit too cautious coming back from my health problems.

It should now be safe to push myself a bit harder. My consultant said that as far as he was concerned, I could push myself as hard as I like as long as I 'listen' to my body. I know the difference between hurting because I am trying hard, and hurting because something is wrong. I'll see how I get on.

Top Bottom