Going up 1p at a time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
How about video conferences,?
In the NHS?! To be fair there was an attempt to put it in for the main meeting rooms, but then I.T couldn’t be bothered to fix it when it went wrong and people stopped using it. Also, with over 120 clinical locations, it isn’t practical for most.

gavgav

Guru
That's a problem of the cars making. Would your boss be happy if one of his children fell ill due to air pollution? I'm afraid your convenience rates pretty low down the scale of harm compared to death, illness and environmental disaster.

Where did I say it was “my convenience”?! It’s practicality, not convenience.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes. Not sure how that’s relevant to the argument about fuel being too expensive though?

The point I was making was that I would love to be able to leave my car at home every day, but I simply can’t due to the number of meetings I go to.
You said it was getting out of hand, you seemed to be taking it personally. It's not such an issue if your employer reimburses you.

Change job or location?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Ah, that's ok then. It's alright to poison the planet and complain about the cost if there's a practical purpose in it.
The planet seem to be cleaner today than it was 60 years ago. Rivers are cleaner, no more smog in London. Of course, there is still work to do but I think we are heading the right way as people are more conscious of our influence on our planet. Also, as consumers, we can only use the tools the manufacturers sell to us. I am confident about the future but a lot less confident about the politicians and the risk of far more reaching consequences if some of the idiots ruling this world decide to play with their deadly toys.

Drago

Legendary Member
The planet at seems to be cleaner? Cough, marine plastic pollution. Cough, plastic in the human foodchain. Cough, 2.12 billion tonnes of waste dumped into landfills worldwide each year. Cough, multiple UK cities with illegal levels of air pollution. The World is about as clean as my favourite Y fronts.

Yet people still complain when the cost of their pollution causing activities increases. Unbelievable.

winjim

Smash the cistern
We just bought a house a mile away from where we work. It is one street away from the school our daughter will attend. We currently use the car to get her to the childminder three days a week, but... our childminder has just told us she is moving to a house directly on our route to work and we are going to check out a nursery that is also on that route.

We're pretty close to being car free commuters. And smug twats.

As for the planet being cleaner, OK there are fish back in the Don, but there is plastic in the most remote areas, climate change is probably irreversible and communities in the Niger delta are still being devastated by the effect of oil spills.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not against people polluting if that's what they want. However, no matter how noble or justifiable - or otherwise - the excuse I don't like hearing them whittle when the cost of their polluting activities rises. Tough.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Well, if the planet is so heavily polluted, why are people living longer? A bit of a paradox there I say. I still think we have more to worry about WW3 on the horizon than climate change.

winjim

Smash the cistern
And modern medicine generally

Antibiotic resistance might reverse the trend a little, although probably not so much in the developed world
We sometimes need to remember how utterly privileged we are compared to the vast majority of the planet's population.

And responsible...

vickster

Legendary Member
We sometimes need to remember how utterly privileged we are compared to the vast majority of the planet's population.

And responsible...
Exactly. Most would be extremely happy if they could actually afford to buy fuel at £1.40 a litre...and a vehicle to put it in

gavgav

Guru
You said it was getting out of hand, you seemed to be taking it personally. It's not such an issue if your employer reimburses you.

Change job or location?

No, I said the price of fuel is getting out of hand, and why on earth would I be taking it personally, for goodness sake. There are millions of others affected as well in this country.

Regardless of whether I use it for work or personal travel, the price is too expensive. It has nothing to do with my employer covering the cost for meetings, which by the way is a flat rate fee and doesn’t change with the price of fuel.

I love cycling, hence why I come on a cycle forum and post the majority of my posts about CYCLING! Unlike many on here whom I see little evidence of cycling and just copious posts and attempts to wind other people up.

However I can’t practically live my life by not using a car at some stage, regardless of the fact I’d love to cover every mile by bike

Last edited:
Top Bottom