Going up 1p at a time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you say so....

Some of us have to rely on it. Really can’t see my boss being happy with me taking 3 extra hours out of my day to do a 40 mile round trip to meetings on a regular basis by using my bike.
Does your company not cover the cost of the fuel and impact on your car however when you go to meetings?

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm afraid folk complaining that they 'need' a car are going to be sorely disappointed when their whittling doesn't save them. The price will inexorably rise, and availability will inexorably fall. For all the talk of electric cars governments don't seem in a hurry to inrease generating capacity to replace dino powered cars like for like with electric ones.

The day is coming. It might be 5 or 10 years. I doubt it'll be as far away as 25. Sensible folk aren't wasting breath on excuses - they're arranging their lifestyle and affairs now to account for the future unaffordability of fossil fuels. Big economic and societal shifts are on the horizon, and those with foresight will be best placed to ride out the storm.

It's coming, it's happening, and complaining that your Boss will get a bit batey when you're late for work wont stave the inevitable off for a single day.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I remember when it to a pound a gallon!

You must be quite young :okay:

I remember when it was 4 gallons for a quid.

I remember as a kid sometime in the 70s '4 star' was 25p a gallon, the same as a weeks school dinners :blush:

Last week I noticed prices twixt 118.9p a litre to 135.9p per litre for unleaded in different parts of the country.
I was over at my parents yesterday & the fuel light came on, so I filled up at their local Tesco (Bradford) £1.249 for diesel & noticed today our local Tesco(Hornsea) it's £128.9, but at £74 to fill up that's the most I've ever paid :sad:

At least when I commute by bike I'm saving even more now :smile: Every cloud has a silver lining :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
My Grandfather always used to quote that when he was courting my Grandmother, [Bthey could catch the bus to Halifax, go to the cinema,[/B] my grandmother could have some sweets & he could have some tobacco, when they came out of the cinema they would have some chips, then catch the bus home & still have change from -/6. He would now be 121 years old, how old are you?
Was that either of the ones at Wards End?

D

Deleted member 26715

Was that either of the ones at Wards End?
Sorry no idea, this would have probably been after WW1 I believe he served in France but would never speak of it, I'm unsure when they married, but my father was born in 1924 so I suspect earlier 20's if they were there then quite possibly. He was 63 years older than me, so by the time I appreciated I should have spent more time talking with him it was too late, although he was not one of the most forthcoming man.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
upload_2018-5-25_10-56-32.png

https://personal.rbs.co.uk/private/a-word-in-private/november-budget-2017.html

In short, the playing field has been continually tilted in favour of private car ownership at the expense of vastly more environmentally friendly public transport (as well as alternative forms of transport such as walking or cycling) because the government knows there's no more certain way to alienate those all important 'Just about managing' voters than by impinging on their right to express themselves through shiny metal. Like gun ownership in the US, it's something that's unarguably bad for society as a whole, but equally unarguably electorally toxic for any party brave enough to try to grasp the nettle and do what's actually necessary.

spen666

Legendary Member
View attachment 410927

https://personal.rbs.co.uk/private/a-word-in-private/november-budget-2017.html

In short, the playing field has been continually tilted in favour of private car ownership at the expense of vastly more environmentally friendly public transport (as well as alternative forms of transport such as walking or cycling) because the government knows there's no more certain way to alienate those all important 'Just about managing' voters than by impinging on their right to express themselves through shiny metal. Like gun ownership in the US, it's something that's unarguably bad for society as a whole, but equally unarguably electorally toxic for any party brave enough to try to grasp the nettle and do what's actually necessary.

Quite an interesting comparison between gun ownershp rights and car ownership rights.

An interesting comparision.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Quite an interesting comparison between gun ownershp rights and car ownership rights.

An interesting comparision.
Always glad to be interesting!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Sitting here reading this thread and pondering whether or not to bother paying the £230 VED due in 6 days time for the "privilege" of driving on our dismal roads.
Seriously, if anyone is interested in a great running car - 2006 Toyota Corolla, 1600 petrol, 3 door colour collection, with 108k miles on the clock... MOT expires end of May 2019, good service history done by my own fair hand with receipts for parts used (always Toyota filters and quality oil every 7 or 8k miles - more regular than required). Very clean condition. Both keys present, and I am only the second owner (I bought it in May 2009). 4 very new tyres - all Good Years, and spare never been used. Obviously with the mileage it's not perfect - but the price reflects that. £1500 in my hand and come and take it away! I just can't be bothered with the expense and hassle of car ownership when I don't really need the car. I won't be advertising elsewhere. If it doesn't sell on here I keep it; and if I have to tax it before it sells then I will be keeping it. So be quick..... :okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Good. Once it gets into the 140 pence realm people start burning it more sensibly.
Well; sensible people do. Unfortunately I don't think it will make much of an impression on traffic levels. Too many people just won't cut back on car use no matter what, and make financial savings elsewhere to compensate for the rising cost of running a car.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Luckily my car is zero rated for VED, but I still have to absorb the cost of fuel as I need my car for going to work. I am also one of those people who use it sensibly. I walk whenever possible.

gavgav

Guru
Does your company not cover the cost of the fuel and impact on your car however when you go to meetings?
Yes. Not sure how that’s relevant to the argument about fuel being too expensive though?

The point I was making was that I would love to be able to leave my car at home every day, but I simply can’t due to the number of meetings I go to.

Top Bottom