Good advice picture.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
This popped up on my FaceBook feed, it says it originated from the Met Police, its something most cyclists will know, but the more motorists who take on board the message the better.

The replies from some motorists suggests not everybody is happy with safe driving.

38904040_1875122032549309_8626519943766081536_n.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
The average motorist couldn't care less. To most of them were slavering loons, a baby eating, pillaging scourge on society who's lives are worthless. The only people who'll take it in are cyclists, or the few sensible motorists who treats us respectfully anyway.

Tizme

Veteran
It would be nice if this was placed as a full page advert in every newspaper and magazine in the country every day for a year - perhaps some of the hate* directed at us would stop - but I wouldn't hold my breath!

*Yes I do think there is a certain amount of hate directed at us - why else when I am struggling up a hill, in the pouring rain, with a constant stream of traffic coming towards me would a driver sound his horn and shake his fist at me as he forces his way passed me?

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I'm driving my car I dread coming across a long line of cyclists as they are difficult to pass safely. I would definitely prefer to pass a short group two abreast.

I sometimes also pip my horn very briefly and politely from a couple of hundred yards back because I know that cyclists often can't hear a car behind for wind noise in their ears.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It is very obvious from the reckless way that a lot of people drive that they are not thinking "How can I safely overtake that cyclist?". Instead, they are thinking "How dare that idiot be on the road! They have been holding me up for at least 3 seconds so I must overtake. It may not be safe, but who cares - if something bad happens then they deserve it because they shouldn't have been in my way!"

Those drivers are not interested in how to overtake safely, and they are not interested in common sense, decency or other people's point of view. They want it, they want it all, they want it NOW - and f*** everyone else! :cursing:

classic33

Leg End Member
It is very obvious from the reckless way that a lot of people drive that they are not thinking "How can I safely overtake that cyclist?". Instead, they are thinking "How dare that idiot be on the road! They have been holding me up for at least 3 seconds so I must overtake. It may not be safe, but who cares - if something bad happens then they deserve it because they shouldn't have been in my way!"

Those drivers are not interested in how to overtake safely, and they are not interested in common sense, decency or other people's point of view. They want it, they want it all, they want it NOW - and f*** everyone else! :cursing:
Sad, but I'd say all too true as well.

rugby bloke

Veteran
This would have been a useful illustrative tool when I was trying to explain why a group of cyclists riding 2 abreast is safer and easier to overtake. Mind you, in order to learn you need to have an open mind, which I think is where the problem was.

Having said that, over the course over the 2 rides this weekend our little peleton of riders only had 1 instance of a dangerous over take. Maybe we were lucky, maybe things are getting better.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
Maybe we were lucky, maybe things are getting better.

Its my perception that things are getting a little better, a lot of drivers now go completely over the line when overtaking but I still have close passes on every ride, the ones that are most annoying are the drivers who refuse to cross the white when its quite obvious there is nothing to stop them doing so. they would rather do a close pass than venture over the line.

I was travelling down hill today about 22mph, when a dustbin lorry pulled out in front of me causing me to brake, no damage done but he wouldn't have pulled out in front of a vehicle approaching him at that speed, when I shouted are you ******* blind, all I got was abuse back :rolleyes:

mgs315

Its my perception that things are getting a little better, a lot of drivers now go completely over the line when overtaking but I still have close passes on every ride, the ones that are most annoying are the drivers who refuse to cross the white when its quite obvious there is nothing to stop them doing so. they would rather do a close pass than venture over the line.

I was travelling down hill today about 22mph, when a dustbin lorry pulled out in front of me causing me to brake, no damage done but he wouldn't have pulled out in front of a vehicle approaching him at that speed, when I shouted are you ******* blind, all I got was abuse back :rolleyes:

To be honest I’ve found bin lorry drivers to be some of the worst. I’ve reported three separate drivers in my local neighbourhood back to Veolia (the private firm responsible for the local collections) and I’ve not heard a peep back.

Alas for another anecdote I had a fellow car driver beep me twice today for refusing to squeeze past a cyclist on London Road out of Bath today. I would pushed the rider to about 40-50cm gap. I’ve had worse as a cyclist and not been too bothered but I wouldn’t put another human being in that situation. When I finally had enough room I left about 2m and straddled the white line; driver behind close passed the cyclist despite having the option to straddle like I did. Can’t win eh?

Tizme

Veteran
I had several passes yesterday that whilst not "close" were uncomfortable, considering that the road was completely devoid of oncoming traffic, in other words, there was no reason for the driver not to move well out into the opposite lane other than ignorance/indifference.

To counterbalance this negativity I should say that the drivers from Peter Green Haulage (based in my village, but as far as I am aware I don't know any of them) always give me plenty of room, wait patiently behind me until it is safe to pass and have on more than one occasion moved out to stop an idiot trying to overtake. It has to be a company policy/training issue as all their drivers show the same consideration. I always give them a wave as they pass and another once their trailer is clear of me so they can pull back in.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I usually ride alone, i prefer it that way but it's still a lottery every time I go out. Sometimes I get lots of close passes and abuse sometimes cheery waves and toots of encouragement.
I have to say though that the last two years I have had more abuse than ever before all of it from idiot 20/30 something youngish men driving mostly silver coloured cars for some reason and yet my riding style hasnt changed in any way. All

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
To be honest I’ve found bin lorry drivers to be some of the worst. I’ve reported three separate drivers in my local neighbourhood back to Veolia (the private firm responsible for the local collections) and I’ve not heard a peep back.

Alas for another anecdote I had a fellow car driver beep me twice today for refusing to squeeze past a cyclist on London Road out of Bath today. I would pushed the rider to about 40-50cm gap. I’ve had worse as a cyclist and not been too bothered but I wouldn’t put another human being in that situation. When I finally had enough room I left about 2m and straddled the white line; driver behind close passed the cyclist despite having the option to straddle like I did. Can’t win eh?
Don't waste your time going back to the company unless you tell them that failure to act on your complaint will mean a copy going to the traffic commissioner.

Top Bottom