Good bikes for children

Discussion in 'Family and Recreational Cycling' started by Mister Paul, 26 Feb 2012.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Well-Known Member

They have a website. Its called Worx Bikes I believe.

2. macbikes

macbikes Well-Known Member

Thanks, I did find it in the end :smile:

3. Evansdch

Evansdch New Member

Triban 3 from Decathlon looks good - or at least good value - to me for the 9+ age, but perhaps not as versatile as others out there.

4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Well-Known Member

No mention of Scott either, surprising. Or are they just too expensive? It does make me laugh Adults are willing to part with thousands for their steeds, yet not a few hundred for their little darlings.

5. Cyclist33

Cyclist33 Guest

That's because if you're an adult and part with that sort of cash, you (I hope) know you will reap the benefits/justify it. If you blow a few hundred to project your own cycling onto your kid and they ride it once and then forget about it, that's up to you, but I would save my money and introduce the kid to a few different influences and then invest in what they want and are willing to put the effort into... once they know what that is.

6. MitchMan

MitchMan Regular

My son started off with a BMW kids bike - starts off as a balance bike and can be turned into a full pedal bike which is great.

MitchMan

[​IMG]

ianrauk likes this.
  7. Justinslow

Justinslow Lovely jubbly

8. noodle

noodle Active Member

guilty as charged i cant get my little boy off them he is coming up to six

any ideas when i take the stabilisers off he wont use his bike so back on they go just to keep him interested HELP

9. Specialeyes

Specialeyes Über Member

Does he have a scooter? My daughter twigged riding without the previously-clung-to stabilisers really quickly once she'd learned her balance on a scooter. A few minutes of 'astronaut steps' with the pedals removed and, importantly, learning how to stop safely to build her confidence, then back on with the pedals and she was away.

10. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

Does it render the rider unable to stick an arm out to let people know which way they're turning?

raleighnut likes this.
  11. noodle

noodle Active Member

yes he does we have tried pointing out how easy and quickly he can get around on it

i may make him a balance bike in a larger size and throw him down a few grassy hills

12. Justinslow

Justinslow Lovely jubbly

We just ran beside our kids lightly holding the seat or back of their coat etc, they soon got it but it takes time. I then continued to walk /run next to them for a while to prevent crashes!

13. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

It's simple. Just take the stabilisers off the bike and tell him he's a big boy now and only babies have stabilisers. If he doesn't want to ride then so be it. Let it be his choice when he want's to try. Force him and he won't want to. Let him learn in his own time. Kids need to get used to it in their head before they actually try.

14. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

Depends on the child ... with my neice (aged 8), I told her we weren't going to try that day, as I didn't think she was ready, but I wanted to check on whether she had grown tall enough to try;). (That was enough to get her to give it a go to prove me wrong!) But that is a case of she is very stubborn, and wanted to get the better of her aunt, and it wouldn't work with all children:biggrin:.

15. noodle

noodle Active Member

Wouldn't work with him tbh. Well that should be it doesn't work with him

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice