Good bikes for children

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The_Hawk

I would recommend Islabikes. Both my children started on Isla balance bikes and progressed through the range. The great thing in my opinion is the scale and lightweightness...

eron001

Hey, glad I found this thread. I was about to ask something. I'm planning to get a new bike for my daughter. As of now, she rides a Beinn 20" - Islabikes. This was actually a pre-owned one, I got from a sale.
She's growing up fast and may need a bigger ride soon. I can't see too many Isla bikes available near my neighborhood and they also seem to be on the expensive side. So I would prefer some other brands that aren't as expensive. I don't want to compromise on the quality though. Can someone suggest me some good models of kids bikes? Is this one: Cannondale Race 24 Kids Bike a good option? It looks good. I guess 24" bikes will be good.
Please correct me if I am wrong. Any advice will be really helpful.
Thanks!

Hey, glad I found this thread. I was about to ask something. I'm planning to get a new bike for my daughter. As of now, she rides a Beinn 20" - Islabikes. This was actually a pre-owned one, I got from a sale.
She's growing up fast and may need a bigger ride soon. I can't see too many Isla bikes available near my neighborhood and they also seem to be on the expensive side. So I would prefer some other brands that aren't as expensive. I don't want to compromise on the quality though. Can someone suggest me some good models of kids bikes? Is this one: Cannondale Race 24 Kids Bike a good option? It looks good. I guess 24" bikes will be good.
Thanks!
Take a look at Frog, Wiggins, Ridgeback and Hoy. Scott also do a reasonable range. Don't forget that the resale value of Islabikes is very high. You'll get 2/3rds to 3/4 of your money back when you sell it.

eron001

Thanks @Crackle. I have seen some Frog models. It looks good. I will look into other models and try to make a decision. I know Islabike's resale value is good, but it's just that I feel that initial investment is a little high. Also, I contacted a couple of bike stores nearby and they aren't available.

Kingy

Thanks!

Worth having a look at 'Squish' kids bikes http://squish.bike/ and the Dawes Academy. http://dawescycles.com/product-category/bikes/bikes-academy/
In both cases they are lightweight, good wheel/ frame range and comparable with Frog / Isla quality wise. Sold through Evans chain and LBS so should be easy enough to get hold of. Out of the two Squish might be the best fit as they have the quality at a slightly better price point than Dawes. They have 24" and 26" in the range.

steven1988

Veteran
Just thought I would add my own experience of kids Bikes, my lad, a very small 9 year old has been on islabikes for the last 3 years.

This year we have recently converted to Scatto bikes, a Belgian brand whose stand over height is lower than Isla. He is now on a 26" wheel compared to the beinn 24 he would be on in Isla bikes.

Admittedly they are not cheap ranging from £700- £1250 from kidsracing.co.uk (depending on spec) but worth every penny.

Attachments

• received_10155046326237917.jpeg
    received_10155046326237917.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 96
IslaBikes were displaying at the Yorkshire Cyclo-Cross Assocation event at Thornes Park (Wakefield) last Sunday

The looked damned nice
Appropriate crank lengths (machined to her specifications, I guess)
Decent gearing for kids
Brake levers with a better 'reach'
Lovely frames, with some very thin seat-stays, to save weight/give a better ride
DSCF3921.JPG DSCF3922.JPG DSCF3923.JPG

Sixmile

Veteran
Looking at the 'Wild Bikes' above and at the like for like to what I got my daughter, they look very in spec apart from thumb shifters instead of gripshift and being uglier than the Carrera. Add to that the 'reduced' price of the Wild is £220, and we got the Carrera Saruna in store for £130.

Top Bottom