GoPro as a Headcam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sazzaa

Thinking about starting to use a headcam, maybe not for the commute but for longer weekend rides... Haven't really seen anyone using them up here, no idea of models and makes but would a GoPro be a good option?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just ride. Go pros are like a carbuncle. As are all cams.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I wanted to make a pretty video of the rugged Scottish scenery though! And spend hours/days/weeks choosing songs for a soundtrack... Don't ruin it for me!
I see Fossyant is being as helpful as ever in the camera department. Kinda like that bored shop attendant who is like meh, everything's bad here. Shop next door.

Gopro seems to be the way to go for top quality but it also comes with that top price tag. TBH I would be willing to pay it if they invested more into a design as to look like contours bullet shape rather than a mini box.That being said, gopro is used by most tv companies now for pov shots.
Other suggestions are
contour - however the company went bust but there is talk of a revamp for 2014.
Sony: as-15 or as-30
Drift Ghost.
Frnakly there are hundreds of action cameras and the market is very dilute for choice.
Have a look around on youtube for reviews of cameras.
My suggestion is Techmoan.

A camera called the TCL SVC200 has shown some promise.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22plKNaYab0

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
If you go and mooch around a website called uk rivers guidebook, most of the film clips found on there are shot on go pros.

They are a good bit of kit. (For kayaking.....!)

MikeW-71

Veteran
I use one, just not all the time. On the MTB I use the vented helmet mount, but on the road bike I mount it on the bars instead. The camera doesn't really weigh a lot, but it's a lot more tolerable helmet-mounted on the MTB than the roadie.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Go Pro is a great camera, have used one for different things for a few years. used it a couple of weeks ago at regents park.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISjyD55NqVU

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure if you are prepared to look like a BBC outside broadcast unit the GoPro is fine but there other less obtrusive and cheaper alternatives that will do the job as Cycling Dan suggests.

OP
OP
S

sazzaa

See it's kinda standard gear when you're on a snowboard but it doesn't seem to be a popular bit of kit in the cycling world - odd!

BSRU

A Human Being
I tried it as a headcam and it was fine just a little conspicuous especially when compared to a Contour.

zizou

Veteran
See it's kinda standard gear when you're on a snowboard but it doesn't seem to be a popular bit of kit in the cycling world - odd!

It is pretty common with mountain bikers

I sometimes use it for my road bike too but gernerally always attached to the bike rather than myself when i use it for the road. As action cameras go its IMO the best however if solely wanting to use as a helmet cam then id look at the alternatives.

Top Bottom