got my KOM!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
No mountains/mostly flat so not KOM then more KOC (King Of the Castle)^_^

BrynCP

Über Member
Well done!

I haven't got any KOMs. I have a number of top 10s and about 20 in the top 20s, funnily enough, two or three of them are in the same ride referenced below!

It's a good feeling when you get a KOM isn't it :thumbsup: I don't normally chase them, but one day I went out aiming to beat some of the club riders on one or 2 segments, only managed to get one KOM, but it's a quite impressive one http://www.strava.com/activities/222688444/segments/5266052152

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
So Ed, c'mon, you don't need educating why there are so many things wrong with whacking straight out into another road, Strava or not, it's still a road, that could be being used by a vehicle, that you could end up under... just think about it.

My drag strip seg, my best I smashed a 1:45 down there at 32.8mph average, and have had numerous runs under 2 minutes. I can remember when 2 minutes was my holy grail target, seems a long time ago now!
true it's by no means safe and i do understand that. i just rely on my exceptional hearing and good brakes! i can and have stopped short of the other road and still set a PB but it just involves rather scary braking
I hope you have stopped doing that corner at speed without stopping. I know it well too and all it would need is vehicle to come round the corner and you are fubar'd,
yeah, i dumped that segment a fair while ago. hardly safe to pull out of a housing estate onto a road and immediately have to overtake parked cars at the start and then handle the above junction all at high speed, had to give up on one or two attempts when i had a bus come round the corner illustrated above but i managed to see/hear the bus and abort in time

ought to find another good local segment, one that's safe this time though!
Cheers Ed

winjim

Smash the cistern
Saying you're in the top x of a Strava segment is meaningless* unless you specify the number of people who have ridden it overall. And also bear in mind that the bottom half of the leaderboard will be populated by people who are just pootling about and not even trying for a fast time so tjey don't really count. Your best chance of a KOM is to find a stretch of road that nobody gives a shoot about.

*Yes I know, Strava is just a bit of meaningless fun.

bpsmith

Veteran
If they're on Strava, then surely they know how it works. Not everyone goes all out, all of the time, but they will now and again and it's the fastest times that show on the leaderboard.

BrynCP

Über Member
Saying you're in the top x of a Strava segment is meaningless* unless you specify the number of people who have ridden it overall. And also bear in mind that the bottom half of the leaderboard will be populated by people who are just pootling about and not even trying for a fast time so tjey don't really count. Your best chance of a KOM is to find a stretch of road that nobody gives a shoot about.

*Yes I know, Strava is just a bit of meaningless fun.
Indeed, my first ever top 10 was 10th. When I viewed the leader board, I was 10 out of 12 :sad:

Most of the top 10/20 I refer to the above though are top 10% also.

I also found a very early ride I did where I am still in the bottom 10% of all segments as I never re-did it! I must re-do that ride, it was my first ever "long" ride at 33 miles, averaged just 10mph and walked up all the hilly bits:tongue:

Getting a higher place on Strava is just a nice bit of info to me though: only one segment have I ever really tried, and that is on an evening on the Humber Bridge as it's straight (between the towers) and deserted of pretty much any other life. It is a shared path so if there is life, I just ride sensibly, I am in top 10% Northbound and top 5% southbound.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
If they're on Strava, then surely they know how it works. Not everyone goes all out, all of the time, but they will now and again and it's the fastest times that show on the leaderboard.
pretty much any ride i go on i will do a few segments that i didn't even know about
Cheers Ed

winjim

Smash the cistern
Indeed, my first ever top 10 was 10th. When I viewed the leader board, I was 10 out of 12 :sad:

Most of the top 10/20 I refer to the above though are top 10% also.

I also found a very early ride I did where I am still in the bottom 10% of all segments as I never re-did it! I must re-do that ride, it was my first ever "long" ride at 33 miles, averaged just 10mph and walked up all the hilly bits:tongue:

Getting a higher place on Strava is just a nice bit of info to me though: only one segment have I ever really tried, and that is on an evening on the Humber Bridge as it's straight (between the towers) and deserted of pretty much any other life. It is a shared path so if there is life, I just ride sensibly, I am in top 10% Northbound and top 5% southbound.
You need to up your game going North!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I don't know what it's like around everyone else's area but around here I never see a segment with fewer than 100 riders and the more popular ones all have several thousand.

We also get a lot of "serious" cyclists, not many pootlers ride in the Peak District. Upshot is that the vast majority of KoMs are just impossible.

bpsmith

Veteran
Similar around here. It's only localised B roads or obscure longer routes that sometimes have minimal people on the list.

What happens around here is that the top 10 positions are generally filled by at least 8 of the same people all around the area. Differing positions, but the same names regularly.

andyfraser

Über Member
Same here. It's one of the reasons I don't bother going for KOMs. There's a short climb that takes me just under 2 minutes that the top people do in 43 seconds. I'll never be fit enough for that! Plus, some of the segments can probably only be done at 3am like the blast through a local town centre.

Top Bottom